Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:52:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

DATHO TI88R Machine (PICS ADDED)

Started by rickyrace, August 12, 2010, 09:28:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyrace

August 12, 2010, 09:28:42 am Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:26:46 pm by rickyrace
Hello,  first post here.  I used to work in an auto upholstery shop about 30 years ago and really enjoyed the work. I am going to try this again as a hobby so I will definitely be checking with you guys on questions in the future.  Great information you have here.

First question.  I was at an auction the other day and picked up a DATHO Model T188R Sewing machine at a ridiculously low price.  I have searched the internet for information on this brand but cant seem to find much.  Is anyone familiar with this brand?  DATHO looks like an American company that imported the machines from Japan.  I am sure this was manufactured under a different name in Japan.  If anyone can help with advice on manuals and such I sure would appreciate it.  Thanks, Rick

fragged8

hiya
  i'm really no expert but it is likely its chinese, there are lots of cheap chinese machines
of the same type carrying lots of different names.

could you post a picture ?

Rich UK

Mojo

Bob or Greg will be along shortly and can give you more info on this machine. They are our resident machine experts and also sell parts for machines.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

The name 'Nakajima' keeps coming up with this model.  Certainly made in Japan if so.  A pic at this point would go a long way for me to be able to recognize this model at this point.

rickyrace

Thanks for the help.  I am going to attempt to attach some pics.  Haven't done this before so hopefully it will work

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Looks like one of the first Japanise machines to come around, maybe late 60's or 70's vintage.  Top bottom feed, big bobbin with oscillating hook, and revesre, dial stitch length.  I really don't even have a lot of info. on this machine.  Probally pretty decent quailty, by todays standards for sure.

rickyrace

Thanks Gregg for the help on this.  I got this with a Singer table with a 1.5 horse clutch motor for $25.  The motor runs and the head seems to be spin freely.  Figured I couldnt lose for that amount.  Of course I did drop it on my thumb when I was loading it up so I did have to pay in the end... Ouch!!! Can you think of a good generic or other model manual that might work for this.  Like I said earlier, I have been away from this for 30 years so guide to look at while I try to get her up and going would be a tremendos help.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: rickyrace on August 13, 2010, 09:01:07 am
Thanks Gregg for the help on this.  I got this with a Singer table with a 1.5 horse clutch motor for $25.  The motor runs and the head seems to be spin freely.  Figured I couldnt lose for that amount.  Of course I did drop it on my thumb when I was loading it up so I did have to pay in the end... Ouch!!! Can you think of a good generic or other model manual that might work for this.  Like I said earlier, I have been away from this for 30 years so guide to look at while I try to get her up and going would be a tremendos help.

Well, for starters, what's wrong with the motor?  Is it three phase 220V? 

rickyrace

No, it's 120 volt.  I plugged it up and it turned on, no problem.  I am not sure there is anything actually wrong with the machine.  I am sure it needs a little maintenance but not sure how to do it.  Has a little surface rust here and there.  I was just wondering if there was another model you could think of with the same set up "Top bottom feed, big bobbin with oscillating hook, and reverse, dial stitch length" you mentioned earlier.  Wish you were closer (I live just outside of Tulsa) so I could bring it to your shop for a tuneup.