Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:01:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need source for sheets of cardboard

Started by stickandtin, September 19, 2015, 10:17:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stickandtin

Upholstering a seat cushion and back cushion on an old metal bench. Back cushion has a cover piece on backside that was made up of material sewn on a piece of cardboard that measures 9" x 40". That piece was then attached by means of 1/2" twist nails to the back of the back cushion plywood. Does anyone know a source for that type of cardboard. It is not corrugated. All I have been able to find is narrow cardboard strips, chipboard and automotive type backer board. Thanks for your help.

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board Stick. Would that auto backer board not do the trick if you laminated enough layers of it to get your thickness? I've seen it as thick as 1/8". Sorry I can't help you with a source---I never use the stuff and I'm in south central Canada.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Use calipers to measure the thickness of the board.

Cardboard is sometimes called chipboard.

Check out paper supply businesses in your town - especially those that supply paper packaging materials B2B.

They may not want to bother with you because your order is too small, one sheet, but they also may give you a sheet for a couple of bucks that is big enough that you can cut to size.

Tell them you're looking for one sheet of chipboard at least 9" x 40" x 1/4" (whatever the thickness is). And you will take whatever size they have in stock that you could cut down.

Good luck.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

stickandtin

Thanks for the leads and advice. One of my problems is I'm new and don't know all the terminology. Actually my wife is learning to do upholstery on the side. I'm helping her by doing the leg work and research. I have a vintage trailer restoration business and eventually she will be doing the upholstery and curtains for the trailers I restore. Looked at Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware stores, fabric stores for a suitable cardboard....no luck. Not sure what chipboard or the other material mentioned is. Will a Juki 1541S sew through it and marine vinyl? Thanks again.

scott_san_diego

You might try Keyston Brothers.  They carry chip board. 
You might also try using 1/8" - 1/4" Luan plywood from Home Depot.

MinUph

Quote from: stickandtin on September 21, 2015, 05:38:57 am
Will a Juki 1541S sew through it and marine vinyl? Thanks again.

It should with a larger needle than normal vinyl sewing. Probably a 180 needle size should work. The machine will sew it with no problem.
If I remember correctly chipboard is just hardened cardboard. It is the thickness you need and it is used for car door panels etc.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

stickandtin

Thanks Paul. I checked the needle size in the Juki and it's a 125. Will this 1541S take a 180 needle?

MinUph

Sure it will. 135-17 is the needle type your machine uses. There are a couple of ways to list needle size I use 120-135-140-160-180. Some manufacturers list them in another way. Call ans ask for a 135-17 needle that is equivalent to a 180, get some 160s also in case the 180s are too large. The smaller the better. But I think you will break the 125s pretty easily.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

A 125 is a 20 gauge needle. This may be a little flimsy for sewing through really heavy cardboard.

I use a 20 gauge when I sew the cardboard panel on the old La-Z-Boys. Never had any trouble.

The heaviest needle that I keep in stock is a 160 (23 gauge). I've never found anything that a 23 wouldn't sew through.

Your machine will sew with a needle up to 25/190.

Are you just sewing around the perimeter?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

stickandtin

Sofadoc, yes just sewing around perimeter. Problem is when wife gets to a rounded corner. That's when the needle broke....going around the corner. I've just learned that different sized needles take different size thread. Been using #69 thread with the #20 needle. According to chart, I should be using #92.

stickandtin

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help a couple of rookies.

sofadoc

I normally sew most furniture fabrics with a 20 gauge needle and #69 thread. I don't care what any chart says. I've even sewed #138 thread with the same 20 gauge needle.

Instead of sewing around the perimeter of a heavy cardboard, could you cut a thin piece of plywood or paneling and just glue the vinyl on? Or staple it on with some very short staples?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban