Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 10:17:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Factory Time required to install upholstery on a frame

Started by baileyuph, July 15, 2015, 05:59:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Factory time compared to custom reupholstery time to staple the material to a chair frame - can anyone provide insights?

Kody and perhaps others have factory as well as custom experience.

For example, I can't hang the upholstery on a wing back in two hours or so, but I suspect on the assembly line two upholsterers could come close to stappling the upholstery on somewhere near to that time, collectively (one hour plus each that is). 

I can't staple the pieces to a frame on a wing back that quickly is why I am interested in know assembly line requirements.  Obviously, the factory is more efficient, but a comparison would be of interest.

I finished a job like that today, it involved applying welting, flex grip, very little pad building, but it took most of the day.  The T-cushion was accomplished yesterday after noon.

I am closely monitoring my time requirements.

Any insights welcome,

Doyle

MinUph

I don't think it's fair to yourself to try and compare your time with a factory. I have watched modern factories upholster and it is nothing like what you and I do. Besides the fact that everything (filling, frames etc.) is new and uniformed the procedures have surely changed. One video I watch oh maybe a year or so ago showed one guy putting together a loveseat or sofa I forget which. He had the insides done in probably 1/2 an hour. Not the same process as us but it is factory. It was nothing more than a bag but when done it looked good. I guess this is an extreme but you get the picture.
  A small business will never compete with a factory setting. We just dont do it the same ways and can't afford to either.
  We are tradesmen and there is a huge difference.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Yes, what Paul said. There are videos of a guy tufting a Chesterfield Leather Sofa. He had a rhythm that had it done in less than an hour. The factories have it down to a science. The work just keeps flowing through.

In the factory I insided 5 or 6 of these chairs a day. And I was considered slow. No way I could do that now.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Ever taken a tour of an auto assembly plant, then wonder why your local repair shop takes an hour to replace a part?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison