Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 04:38:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Don't Think This Customer Ever Understood.......

Started by baileyuph, December 02, 2012, 05:59:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I am doing a complete room of upholstery for a customer.  Her husband came by with her and said he wanted me to take the wrinkles out of his Honda seats.  I took a look at it and it was done using the gathering technique.  He thought they didn't pull the upholstery tight enough. ::) ::)

Go figure.......

Doyle

JuneC

Now that, Doyle, is hysterical  ;D  ROTFLOL...  (at least it struck me as funny)

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

December 07, 2012, 06:56:43 pm #2 Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:57:55 pm by MikeM8560
what a bonehead  :o
did ya do it shouda fixed it and charged him a few 100

baileyuph

He asked but I told him his wife's projects have to be focused on at the moment.  She is having me do everything in her sitting room.  I have however, upscaled her work and he hasn't said a thing.   ;)  She went to a decorator and decided she like talking to me better than "that decorator".  I guess for now, I will do the interior of their home.  I might suggest we pad his drivers seat or something.  That will make him happy.

LOL
Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on December 08, 2012, 05:25:46 am
She went to a decorator and decided she like talking to me better than "that decorator".  I guess for now, I will do the interior of their home.
That's not uncommon at all. I never intentionally "steal" a customer from a decorator, but quite often, the customer decides to "bypass" the decorator, and deal directly with me.

It's really the decorator's fault. They're too lazy to do all the "leg work" that their job entails. So naturally, the client, and the upholsterer end up developing a relationship.

Back in the day, the client and the upholsterer never met. Most decorators that I deal with now instruct their client to just pay me directly when the job is done. So it only stands to reason that the customer is going to call me directly next time.

As for the husband who didn't know the difference between wrinkles and gathers, I've met a few decorators who weren't much smarter.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

I hear ya Dennis.  I usually see designers or decorators as someone who got in the way. 

Doyle

Mike

speaking of the customer going to you , I used to have a large national boat dealer who the customer went to ab9ut canvas for some reason rather then me directly . they would send me to the owners home to price the boat job  were I told the dealer my price they added there 30%and sometime got the job sometimes the price was too high for the owner but I never heard from them directly even with my name on the van.long ago in construction work I hasd a company do this but wanted me to remove my magnetic truck signs so the customer couldnt call me