Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:18:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Equipment Questions

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, December 12, 2014, 12:43:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm currently using a Tacsew GC6-6 for upholstery.  It's been a great machine (2+ years with no issues but I do my PM faithfully).  I'd love to eventually get one with a deeper bed.  What machines are y'all using?  What are their strengths & weaknesses?

Also, I'm still using an electric stapler.  I have 2.  One is actually a carpet stapler.  It's great except that removing staples is a real bear, sometimes impossible.  My other stapler is a whatever, alleged pro stapler.  I generally end up exchanging them within the 90 day period.  I almost went pneumatic when I replaced a couple of weeks ago.  The Home Depot helper told me that he had used a pneumatic when putting up siding and had just as much jamming issues as with an electric so I decided against.  Again, what are you using, strengths & weaknesses? 

The sewing machine purchase will help me tremendously with taxes this year and for the next 2 years but I know as I start making more dollars, I need to continue to upgrade my equipment.  One) it helps me do a better job with less time; therefore increased productivity; and Two) lowers my taxes -- I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but will take every tax break I'm entitled to.  I'm also increasing my rent to our joint account.  Even increasing I'm still getting a steal.

Darren, you will be pleased.  I've raised my rates enough that I actually feel like a real upholsterer when I get paid and no longer wonder why I'm not seeing more in my bottom line.  I know I can still raise my rates a bit more but right now I'm very happy with what I'm making!

Thanks for all your input!

Virginia

bobbin

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "deeper bed".  I use a Juki 1541 and I have about 10" between the needle and the housing.  This is pretty standard with all my industrial machines.  There are machines that offer greater working room between the needle and the housing, but they're "special orders" or are "stretched" according to specifications. 

sofadoc

December 12, 2014, 02:26:01 pm #2 Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:33:42 pm by sofadoc
Is the Tacsew a triple feed machine? Does the needle walk in unison with the front foot? Or does it just go up and down in a stationary position?

There are 2 basic types of walking foot machines. Top/bottom feed, and triple feed. In looking at pics of the Tacsew, it appears to be only top/bottom feed. If you're thinking about upgrading just to keep Uncle Sam from having your money, get a triple feed machine. Consew, Chandler, and Highlead all make a fine model in the $1200-$1300 range. The Juki that Bobbin has currently lists around $1600. And the Mauser Speziel (formerly Pfaff) is even higher.

I bought a used Juki LU-1508 a few years ago. It will probably be the last machine I ever own.

But if I were buying a new one right now, my personal preference would be the Juki DNU-1541 (like the model that Bobbin has). It's just like the 1508, except it is bottom load, and therefore costs about $500 less. But that's not to say that the other models  I mentioned above wouldn't completely satisfy you.

All these models have a depth under head of about 10". They make long arm machines that are significantly more expensive, ranging in depth from 18"-30".

I consider the BEA 71 series pneumatic stapler to be the "Holy Grail" of upholstery staplers. But there are other nice brands like Rainco and Fasco. You won't find these brands at Home Depot. Those sub-$100 guns aren't really made to stand up to the rigors of everyday furniture upholstery.
They (the Home Depot models) are fine for light duty plywood jobs. My BEA has never jammed. I've been using the same gun for over 10 years.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

When researching upholstery machines when I first started, they referred to the "bed" as the area between the needle and housing.  Mine is 10" and I've had more than one project that I could have used additional room.  I saw a middle of the road pricewise that had 15" and the "deluxe" was 18-20".  Especially when working on pontoon covers, 10" really jams you up.  It's a constant repositioning and checking to make sure that nothing has gotten underfoot.  I've got at least 2 covers in 2015 and I've had several other people talk to me about small repairs. 

So, it's half and half.  Half as a tax reducer and half because I could use some additional room.

The info on the pneumatics makes sense.  I've had no jamming issues (knock on wood) with my carpet stapler (Duo-Fast) but it's a booger to get staples out if you decide that you don't like where they're positioned.  What's the price range on the BEA?  I'm working on a set of 8 office chairs right now and both staplers are driving me crazy.  I'll get through with it ok but I know that 2015 will be the year that I buy a decent staple gun.  Also, how heavy are they?  I'm fused at L5/S1 so I intentionally avoid heavy jobs and the weight of the stapler/compressor thingie I've worried about.

Thanks again!

Virginia

mike802

I have two Adlers model 267 Great machines cant think of any down sides to them except cost, but that is outweighed by longevity, Ive owned them for 30 years and never had to repair anything on them.  You could probably pick up a good used one and never have to worry about it. 

Staple guns:  I went through electric ones like water, now I keep one just incase something goes wrong with my pneumatic, or when I am out on a call.  I use a Rainco long nose, way better than electric, much lighter and you can dial it in by adjusting air pressure.  Jams are not a problem with a high quality gun.  Draw back, they are expensive especially when you consider all the other stuff, compressor, hose, air pressure regulator and fittings, but all that stuff sure comes in real handy in the shop for many other uses.  Air compressors are loud and I highly recommend setting one up in a different room if possible.  I bought air hose from Home Depot, big mistake, I keep cutting off a foot because they burst, going to buy a much better quality one soon.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

I've worked on 2 long arms, Virginia.  One was a Pfaff and the other had been a custom stretch on a double needle with a puller (I believe it was based on a Pfaff, as well).  They certainly are handy when working on large items (pontoon covers or large canopies).  I occasionally see one come up for sale on Craigslist, but it's usually a really old model... some variant of a Singer. 

I am a big fan of adding equipment to make your work life easier.  If you do enough of the large, bulky work to warrant the purchase then I say, "go for it"!  I have a couple of machines that I use only occasionally but when I need one of them, it's great to plug in and turn it on.  I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor and a long nose stapler (bought it on this site!) that I love.  I agree they're wicked loud.  Mine is in the garage bay below my shop and my brother helped me pipe the air up into my shop.  My brother suggested I add a storage tank so the compressor isn't asked to cycle as frequently.  I tap into the ceiling line with those collar type fittings (which always leak).  And I advise real rubber hoses... the plastic ones are a drag, always stiff and it's next to impossible to straighten them out when it's cold. 

Mojo

In regards to machines, I have a Juki 563, Chandler 401 and two Highlead twin needles. The Chandler has had a ton of use and continues on with no problems. It was my primary machine but is now setup for binding. The two twin needles have been great performers. The Juki I bought used from Monterey Boat Company. It sews great but I rarely use it ( I have it set up to do welting ).

I have seen the long arms and almost all the manufacturers offer one. They are expensive regardless of what brand you get.

Like Bobbin I also own a Porter Cable pancake compressor. It is installed in the basement of my bus.
I have had it for 7 years and never had a problem with it. I use it primarily to air up the tires and for cleaning certain areas on the bus. I have a larger Porter Cable compressor in the shop. MUCH quieter and it has been an awesome performer for the last 12 years.

I have bought alot of machines and equipment over the last couple years and bought them in stages as business grew. Like Bobbin said the right equipment can make a big difference. My twin needles are a perfect example. They sped up our production so much that they paid for themselves in about 60 days.

Chris

sofadoc

Someone is trying to sell me these 2 machines. He says they both work fine. But at only $100 each, I'm skeptical.

I haven't gone to look at them yet. I'm trying to decide if I really want to go to the trouble. Even if they are in good running condition, I'm not sure what use (if any) that I would get out of them.

The bed on the first one appears to be around 15" in the photo, doesn't it? And I'm sure that I could find some use for a double needle machine, but I don't know if I want to dedicate a space for one (especially if it turns out to be an old junker).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scott_san_diego

I had been looking for 2 used Juki LU-1508N machines for the past 6 months but could not find any.  Last week I just bought 2 new ones with the needle positioning servo motor.  They run very smooth.  Also have a Juki LU-2210-7, this is fully automatic that I found used about two years ago.  Just sold my first machine, which was a Consew 206-RB1.  Had the machine for 26 years and still going strong.  Trying to sell a Mitsubishi DY359 machine I have had for about 6 years.

Darren Henry

Dennis; Go for it! You can sell the tables alone for double that.

QuoteDarren, you will be pleased.  I've raised my rates enough that I actually feel like a real upholsterer when I get paid and no longer wonder why I'm not seeing more in my bottom line.

I am! I'm glad at least one of us gets to "live the dream". [whine] I miss my shop [whine]

As far as equipment:

Staplers-- pneumatic is the way to go. I've only seen one electric that was worth beans and my neighbour paid over $200 for it at Sears back when I still had my shop, so pre 08.  Any of the brands mentioned are good and the price over time is quite low. I've got an old seneco (sp) that was lumped with a box of other "old junk" that I bought when one of my competitors retired that I still use "off site". I thing my best bang for the buck was the Minico staler that was my main staple gun. Despite being very inexpensive I have never had a problem with it. It is very light and small enough  to get into tight spaces. The only reason I don't use it is that is different calibre than we run at work.it is a 1400 series and we run 71 series.

Compressors/hoses---Go big or go home! As Mike mentioned, once you have air you will very quickly have an array of air tools (* note to follow) and some will be right air hogs. You will want the highest CFM (cubic feet per minute) that you budget can withstand. This also cuts down the duty cycle of the compressor . Around here standard is a 5 HP/13 gallon but bigger is better if you pick up any "air hogs". I've got one disk sander that I have to take over to the big shop because my compressor won't keep up. If budget will allow, oiled is preferred over oilless. My Campbell Hausfeld is oil less and had to be rebuilt every couple of years----The old Sandburn that the boss has,I added a tablespoon of oil when I got here in May/10, and drain it Friday afternoons as part of my maintenance routine. As mentioned good quality hoses are worth the investment, and avoid those plastic coiled ones like the plague!!! Isolating the compressor to suppress the noise is golden. Will you be using yours down in the sewing room? or out in the garage? Either way they do need air flow around them for cooling, but a louvered "dog house" works great. If they built old barns the same in Nebraska as they did in Manitoba, you'll see a prototype on the roof ridge---wink.

* My wish list-in order-would be;
Stapler--DUH!
$20 air hammer to be modified into a furniture stripper. I can show you mine.
Spray gun for glue
Brad/18 gauge staple gun
Disc sander if you have to reconstruct foam for ATV seats etc...
Ratchet to disassemble furniture ---if you are doing repairs.

Sewing machines:
We've got an old long arm singer (currently listed for sale at $795 BTW Dennis) that I just never used even though I do alot of big canvas. My largest project so far was an 18X30 gazebo type roof in what you call Herculite material.I debated hauling it out for that one---but space is at a premium and it was easier to just get an assistant to help wrestle it through the 10" consew 226. You do have me thinking though---maybe I should moth ball his 111W155 and put the big old gal at that end of my table?????????

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!