Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:45:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Spring-tying

Started by otlass, November 09, 2014, 06:03:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

otlass

How to you guys out there deal with the edge wire? I was taught to first tie the springs and attach the edge wire after completing the spring tying. But that was old school when we also hand tied the edge wire with twine to the springs. (Unbelievable time consuming and tedious) To me it seems if I clip the edge wire on after spring tying the clips cut into my twine and weaken it, or even cut the spring twine completely. So the last few times I attached the edge wire first and then tied the springs, which to me makes the spring tying a lot harder because the front row is already one unit and you have to fight it to get the springs to the right height. Or is there another way I have not seen or thought about?
Thanks for your ideas and input!

kodydog

November 09, 2014, 07:29:17 am #1 Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:40:59 am by kodydog
I double the twine front to back. On the back spring, using the first piece of twine the first knot gets tied to the 2nd or 3rd spring loop. Then on the center springs I tie the top spring loops. And on the front spring I tie to the 2nd or 3rd spring loop and nail it off.

This way there are no knots tied to the top loop on the front and back springs.

Then I tie side to side the same way but using only one piece of twine.

What you have now is basically 4-way tied springs with no knots on the top loops where the edge wire is going to be attached. And at this point I attach the edge wire.

Once the edge wire is attached I take the second front to back twine and this time I catch the top loop on the back spring and all the center springs top loops. On the front spring I tie like the first piece of twine and nail it down to the frame. Now, because I made that second twine extra long I go straight up and catch that top loop including the wire edge and pull the spring down to the correct height. At this point it's just a matter of finishing off the way you normally would. When I tie the diagonal twins I tie all knots to the top loop.

Everyone has slightly different methods and I'm sure you do too. But this works for me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

November 09, 2014, 07:32:44 am #2 Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:38:36 am by DB
h boy!  Great subject from long ago furniture techniques.  One could make a course of old style spring tying.  Usually the edge you are doing is related to the removable cushion configuration.

So, the general answer to your question is you just about have the technique already described, specifically:  tie springs first but taper the tying to slant below the top of the coils where the edge is to be placed.  This eliminates the problem you stated.  

Get those coils exactly to the proper hight, more importantly to the correct tension (pull down) first by tying.  Then add the edge wire keeping the tension and height even across.

Like I said there are variances, some have spring edge all around attached with clips and like you said, tied in the really old school era.

This subject was when quality, expert craftsmanship really mattered.

If your spring edge wire is already cliped to the springs, one can use this suggested techniuqe and not perturb the clips.

Spring tying, particularly coil is a science, an art, and great understanding with experience.

How old is the piece you are working on?  Just curious, not to distrupt your train of  thoughts.

Good luck going forward,

Doyle

MinUph

I was taught to attach the edge wire first. Making sure the spacing is even on the left and right then just tie away. I never really had any trouble lining up the front row. It is kinda hard to explain all that goes into the front to back twines but sofa has explained it already anyway. As long as the springs are as close to perpendicular to the base your in good shape. The front row will usually be a little tilted towards the front rail.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

otlass

Very interesting responses, I really like Kodydogs idea of attaching the edge wire after you to your first run to get the springs set. This way I do not have to fight the tension of more or less the whole front row of springs. Hopefully it goes as easy as it sounds right now. I will post some pic when I get going. Thanks for all of your input!

mike802

I like to install the edge wire first, before I start tying.  This helps me to keep the springs lined up along the front edge of the frame, I usually have trouble keeping the springs forward enough, tying the springs down enough has never been a problem for me.  I like to clip, and tie the edge wire to the springs, I have never had any trouble with the clips cutting my spring twine.  I use jute spring twine, not nylon.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com