Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question for Marine Peeps

Started by jojo, June 24, 2016, 06:53:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,

So this customer just bought a used boat which has four like-new enclosure panels, and a bimini frame, but no bimini.

He got his hands on a premade bimini top (mass produced, with no zippers on the pockets) which is too big for the frame.

He wants me to cut it down to fit (like that's realllly simple) and then sew zippers on it to match the enclosure panels. It just doesn't sound like a good idea to me; I'd love to start fresh instead. Seems like modifying an existing bimini is more work that making your own?

Have any of you ever done this?

brmax

I'm going to listen and learn more here from you and others as I always do, so a forward thanks.

I will say that the found/purchased top, that's to be magically tailored would need to be a quality material and with good thread .

Its no matter what, more labor I think. Your doing the same things and twice in some places as a repair and this could be a pain possibly, no doubt do-able. I guess a look see if the tubing is placed in the way you need for best results. These talents are the experience to yourself, its not that talent that is important to the customer, respectfully don't forget : )

The side pattern has to be a fit up anyway I suppose and with matching material strips you "saved" if you find enough from trimming.

Some may have a zipper side sewn on the canvas. Other designs have first a 2-4" inch strip as the zip point of attachment first, so its a material directed choice also here.

I would see what Bob and Mike's opinion are mentioned here later and the many others I hope.

good day
Floyd

kodydog

June 25, 2016, 02:51:27 pm #2 Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:56:09 pm by kodydog
Quote from: jojo on June 24, 2016, 06:53:31 pm
Seems like modifying an existing bimini is more work that making your own?
Have any of you ever done this?

I've never done bimini's or boats or such but for the things I have done, this is a true statement.

There have been many times a customer wanted us to use draperies to recover a chair. When we tell them to pick them apart and iron them flat they all of a sudden lose interest.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Yep!  I hear you.

So many consumers think what we do is simple, at least until they try it.

You will not get a carpenter to unbuild a house to build another for less money.

Time is money and in cases like this the projects can be a failure.

Doyle

jojo

Thanks guys! I really needed this affirmation. I'm not going to take the job.