Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 02:59:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Poly batting versus cotton

Started by gene, October 27, 2017, 08:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 27, 2017, 08:18:02 pm Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:18:30 pm by gene
On wing back chairs, for example, when I want to add a bit of padding to the inside back or the arms, is there any difference in using poly batting or cotton?

Cotton seems to give more support on the arms and it doesn't seem to make a difference on the inside backs.

Does anyone use poly batting on these areas?

I like using poly batting on the outside panels because it seems to go faster for me than using cotton and it does not seem to make a difference.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

October 28, 2017, 03:36:41 am #1 Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:37:07 am by MinUph
We have moved to Dacron in place of cotton for the last few years. We have a roll of cotton for certain things but it is easier to use Dacron. I don't think the product is quite as good but bales of cotton are hard to store and I just don't have the space for it in this shop. Cost wise Dacron is slightly less expensive but that is no bearing on our use of it. I use to buy cotton 2 bails at a time and bag it and put it in the attic. This shop has no attic so we just grab a 54" roll or two of Dacron as needed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

October 28, 2017, 06:20:05 am #2 Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:21:06 am by kodydog
My perspective is cotton gives a flatter look dacron gives a stuffed look.

I use dacron on mostly everything. Cushions especially but also arms and backs. Some may disagree but I don't like the outsides to look overly fluffy. I like them to look flattish but still padded. For this I split the dacron and always use burlap or scrap fabric underneath.

For the front of a cushioned seat I use cotton only. To me Dacron is just too fluffy. Dacron gives the seat front a rounded look and leaves too big of a gap between the front of the cushion and the front edge of the seat. I build up the top of the edge with two layers of cotton and another layer over the whole thing. That's the look I like anyway.

Not to change the topic but what do you call the front part of a sofa that is attached to the deck and the cushion sits on.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Darren Henry

wouldn't that be the board that is screwed onto the front deck border to attach the springs to?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

The reason I ask is while I was writing my reply to Genes Poly/cotton question I struggled with what this item is called. For instance when marking fabric I use IA, IB, OB etc. The part I'm referring to I always call the seat front. A word I made up when first starting our business.  Sort of like joining Pauls and Steves answer. I didn't know if you all would know what I am talking about when I say seat front.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

kody, everyone I talk to about this has a different. Mine of course is the correct one :) The deck is under the cushion also and the seat is attached to the deck. Makes perfect sense.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

except if no one is sitting there is it just a cushion - where's Gene when we need him ?
SA

MinUph

No steve, it's never a cushion cause a cushion sits on top of the seat see.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

If we are talking about the facing of the seat, that is the 'apron', no?

As for the batting, my supplier rarely has any cotton. So foam & dacron it is.