Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 07:21:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making Decorator Pillows (cushions)

Started by baileyuph, March 22, 2015, 05:47:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Business has been good in this department, maybe it is the warm weather.

Had a stack of them to do, most are done, but the last three are to made of the thin upholstery fabric that frays.

So, the plan is to serge then, sew the corded with zipper and insert filler.

My mulling thoughts are on this fabric, I might want to go to a smaller thread than #69 and possibly use the drop feed machine (Consew 30 equal to 31-15).  In other words maybe a tailoring thread size.

First question is what is the thread size used in tailoring numbred as?  Something like 4o? or close to that isn't it.

Second question is needle size; about a 16?

The slip cover pros on here will likely relate to these questions easily.

This thin new fabric, they label it as upholstery but ........you get my drift.

I guess Jo Ann's has been running big sales on pillow inserts because been getting bags of pillow work.  Most might think this type of work is low tech (relatively), but these products receive close scrutiny, so that drives doing the job right.  When the fabric is traditional upholstery, then using walking foot works fine with upholstery weight thread, zippers, and cording.

Like said, this thin material and the serging and all has to be handled with careful detail.

In this wave of work, there is a neck roll (round pillow of course), that is required and you guessed it, done in thie thin stuff.  It will be corded (on ends) haven't decided if it will be zippered or hand sewed close.

So, the machine and the thread?

Doyle

sofadoc

For thin stuff, I use my Juki DDL-555 (similar class machine to your Consew 30) with #33 thread and a 14 ga. needle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Thanks for the info -

Got everything ready to go and serged.  Pretty fabric but pretty thin.

Doyle