Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 09:48:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Horsehair in Canada

Started by mike802, April 08, 2013, 11:04:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

I talked to a youtube subscriber of mine this morning who had watched my videos on how to upholster a wing chair and decided to give it a try on an Eastlake rocker for his pregnant daughter.  Everything was going fine until he tried to buy some Horsehair and said he couldn't find any in Canada.  He found some places where he could order it from the States, but the custom duty's made it prohibitively expensive.  I know we have some upholsters from Canada here, so I thought maybe we could help this guy out, any one have any ideas?  I can retail a 50/50 blend for about $25.00 a pound, the guy shouldn't need more that a couple pounds, three at the most.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

west coast

Sorry I have no idea at all where you would get it up here.

mike802

Wow, thats depressing.  What do you guys in Canada do, pay outrageous fees for horsehair, or is there an alternative available, other than foam?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

west coast

I use foam never had anyone ask for horse hair. If we do an old chair and replace the padding its always foam that goes back in.

MinUph

Have him visit a couple shops up there. Someone must do antiques and will have some around. In a pinch if he only needs to fill in he can use cotton to fill the voids. Re Picking hair will also help. Or just regulating it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Mike:

I maybe interested in buying some horse hair from you once I can figure out how to glue it to the top of my head.

I missing quite a bit on top. :)

Chris

mike802

Chris:  I have had good luck with spray adhesive, make sure to mask off your ears and keep your eyes closed when spraying.

Mojo

Quote from: mike802 on April 11, 2013, 07:19:50 am
Chris:  I have had good luck with spray adhesive, make sure to mask off your ears and keep your eyes closed when spraying.

LOL...........:) Thanks for the advice Mike.

Chris

Lynn

Horsehair is not available in Canada.  I tried to get some when i first came here 16 years ago and was met with horror that you would actually use hair from horse in your furniture! Your only option is to find old pieces and clean and recard the hair from those.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

sofadoc

Quote from: Lynn on April 12, 2013, 06:48:18 am
I tried to get some when i first came here 16 years ago and was met with horror that you would actually use hair from horse in your furniture!
Lynn: Are you saying that it is a cultural thing? If so, it's odd that their British ancestors don't feel the same way.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Joys Shop

Odd that they won't sell horse hair in Canada, because I was under the impression that Canadians have no problem eating horses

west coast

huh please tell me what thats supposed to mean

Mojo

I believe Joy meant that Canadian's eat horse meat. Actually, horse meat is pretty common food in Europe but not sure if Canada sells it. I had some on a sandwich when I was in the Netherlands and it tasted good. Very lean meat.

Americans do not like the idea but in other parts of the world it is food.

I had kangaroo steaks in Australia and they tasted just like venison. Another very lean meat. Roo's are a big time pest in Australia. They are like our deer, eating crops and mobs cause erosion as well.

I will eat anything once except domestic pets. I draw the line there. :)

Chris

byhammerandhand

I was in Paris for a week with some co-workers.    One day, we were walking around trying to find a place for dinner.   My French was 30 years out of use and a bit rusty.   Plus, sometimes, even menus in English are hard to understand (e.g., in England : "Bangers and Mash" = sausage and potatoes, "Ploughman's Lunch" = cold plate of bread, cheese, pickles, and beer, "Viennese Escallops of Veal" = Wienerschnitzel = breaded and pan-fried veal.)

One restaurant had a sign out front, "Hamburger du Cheval"   One of the guys suggested that until I let them know "cheval" is horse.

One other night we found what was probably the best meal I've ever had.   A little mom and pop place off the Champs De Elysee.   Mom was the hostess and pa was the chef.  (I had lamb.)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

Gene used to have a dog that he took on his wilderness canoeing trips.   The dog's name was "Lunch."    Gene always said, "Just in case."

Quote from: Mojo on April 14, 2013, 03:52:52 am
I will eat anything once except domestic pets. I draw the line there. :)

Chris
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison