Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 11:14:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A question for the canvas workers

Started by mike802, October 19, 2012, 07:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

I am putting together a new product and need to know what would be a good canvas to use.  I am making cord wood slings, or carriers.  They are going to have wooden handles with a canvas sling with nylon webbing for added support.  For those not familiar with heating by a wood stove there purpose is to carry fire wood from the wood pile to the stove. 

Thanks
Mike802
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike

Id use  hurculite or tuff stuff a pvc coated fibermesh fabric

scarab29

And poly webbing as the nylon will rot. Poly thread too while youre at it. Not that they are meant to get soaking wet but sure they will last longer. I've seen them made out of a heavy duck canvas , seem to be real strong for that.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

gene

My too scents:

I would think that you might also want a fabric that could take a few 'hot cinder' hits without putting big holes in it.

Goodle 'firewood sling' and you'll find a lot of makers. One said "2 layers of heavy duty 12oz canvas with 25mm (1") webbing handles, and edged with polyester binding".

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Mike:

Contact me via e-mail. I have boxes of scraps wide and long enough to probably make slings out of. You can have it if you pay the shipping. The scraps are in different colors and the vast majority is Sattler and Recacril Acrylic.

The Tuff Stuff is a great product but if your going after a nice high end look with wooden handles then it wont look as nice as the acrylic fabrics.

E-Mail - chris@stonevos.com

Chris

DBR1957

I would just use #10 cotton duck. If you plan on making a lot you can buy rolls from
Top Value Fabrics.

You might want to compare what you need to charge against what is already available.

Mojo

I am fixing him up with some Sattler & Recacril. I know what kind of items he is making and they are for the high end crowd. The fabric I have in a multitude of colors will be great for these carriers. I have some gorgeous colors and also some tweeds.

It was a win/win. He needed this fabric and I have rolls and rolls of it I didn't know what I was going to do with. The funny thing is they are the width measurements that he needs.  He pays the shipping and gets the fabric for free and I get rid of it.

It is also awesome to help out a fellow stitcher, especially someone like Mike as he is one great person. Very glad to be able to help him out.

He doesn't know it yet but one day I am going to show up on his doorstep with my woodworking apron on and be asking for some instructions on the art of making fine wood items and furniture. :)

Chris