Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:20:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Mat

Started by brmax, August 18, 2016, 04:20:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I finally decided to purchase a cutting mat to go with the rotary cutter I purchased ages ago and never used. I had fumbled on a JoAnns super sale paper some time ago and picked one of these rotary's.
Recently working with some phifertex and after a bit I had opened the tool box and seen the rotary cutter, and with out a regular mat I used a small some hole punch mat for a rotary blade try out.
Wow! no twisting like my scissors going over that screen material and it works unbelievable on the plus material also. I will resort to others with blade durability but for some small or strips needed I'm making a mat purchase from Alvin brand.
I hope this works out and possibly use it with some other materials of vinyl and leather sides, that just may be worth it later on.

I may be interested in the use of these, rounding a pattern with say plexi glass or similar materials.

Floyd

brmax

Follow up: received a 40" x 60" in the post and now I am sure I need a desk top version in the near future.
Moving on here the mat is hanging over the deck rail airing out its whatever plastic, vinyl smell.
This piece didn't stay in here for 5min, like the last mat for the lift table!

Wow! instant headache, I read a few reviews on other brands about this but didn't pay much mind to it, this is an Alvin brand. I guess the process in this manufacture is the same I will say its going to be 2 weeks anyway.
Not a problem but is worth noting plenty air time required for real.
I have it cushioned over the rail so not to crease from the sun but if it gets windy I will stash it in the green house or somewhere.

Floyd