Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:55:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snap Studs

Started by brmax, July 26, 2016, 06:57:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Hi everyone I have a picky question for Install time standards, The issue is snap (studs) on the decks of boats or parts of the vessel.
I'm sure somewhere it is mentioned and I know there are some of the same parts pieces in upholstery, but I might need a here's your sign maybe or an arrow anyway.
Or an explanation of way back when who decided to put that time allotment " where "?
The usual place I keep for reference is on the table and is the marine fabricators magazine, and hold dear the first of the years issue with time standards.
I find many many things of canvas, and extra structure like tubing etc. but no such time on the install of OMG all the new or uh! old fastener stuff on the boat decks etc..
can ya help a fella out

please no double signs, as I do have one feeling ?  I think : )

Floyd

brmax

By the way do some of you work with counter sinking bits and or the same in a hex drive possibly.
I'm interested in gel coat chamfering as in the above post, It could be a bit more productive.
Thanks
Floyd

Darren Henry

Yes I counter sink in glass. Way back I used a 7/64" pilot hole and then one of those countersink only bits. Then I ground a flat spot on a 7'64" bit and used it in one of those pilot/countersink bits until i lost it. That was slick.

As far as time---I just quote "cost plus" for the extra work.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Darren thanks!  I wondered about using one of them, and been looking some. Thought this was best place to ask, as there is plenty of wood and glass experienced people around.
The cut out or flute on the few I seen is 1 so been just lookin for the time being at the box stores.
It would save a bit of time for sure, I have noticed a few in 1/4 hex and that's interesting.

Floyd

Darren Henry

The hex shafts are nice. My problem is that a #8 countersink is based on a 1/8" pilot and I like to use 7/64". The "field expedient" answer is to pre-drill all your 7/64" pilots and then go back and use a 3/16th or 11/64th to break the edge of the gel coat so that it doesn't crack.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

I agree and like the 7/64 also, and picked up a few more of them. There was some 4 flute types countersinks back ordered on Jamestown dist. but who knows when. I understood to be for the 7/64 with the smaller taper? if it wasn't on backorder I might have one.
I have some stones and the regular countersink, but was looking at the hex drive trying to haul just 1/4 impact around. I will keep a look out and in the mean time work through as ya mentioned.

Floyd

scarab29

A few turns with a phillips head after drilling is my mc guyver method . Haven't chipped any gel in years and don't have to look for that special bit . . Just saying
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

brmax

Thanks Pardner! if its a Mc guyver method its surely the best, besides if there is an update it will be showing this new fall tv season.
have a good day there
Floyd