Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 06:53:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Classifieds

Started by brmax, June 17, 2016, 08:10:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I have a question for you all; what is your opinion or general thoughts with the use of appointments and estimates in a classified advertisement.
This can be expanded to business cards also if anyone cares to bring that up and is appreciated.

So for starters is appointment best in full or is using the abbreviated; appt. ok.
example  appt. & estimates

More importantly have you found use of this to be a benefit or anything measurable.

Considering some clingers and ringers beyond the read.

Good day there
Floyd

SteveA

You don't want to sound too anxious -
My opinion - Name - Address - phone - email - fax - and trade - e.g.  Upholstery & Window treatments -
SA                                                                                             

gene

Howdy,

I have a negative impression of the word "appointment", when it comes to marketing. I know not everyone has the same impression.

"By appointment only", for example, gives me the impression that you may be working part time at this particular job and you are not around all the time, or you are very expensive and can afford to work by appointment only.

"Appointment" also conveys the idea that you are wanting to get me in a situation where you can sell me something.

"Estimates" gives me the impression that you are selling price.

As a sales person, before I talk to you about appointments and estimates, I would want to know "What do you want?"

This is my take on it and I don't mean to be too negative. I know most advertising uses these words and it obviously works for many folks. I also think the business and clientele should dictate whether these words are helpful.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

I appreciate the replies, Its true and as I believe some ways can be harsh sounding and surely not the direction I intend.

A word choice that implies respect with some focus clearly suggesting, I see the item before a serious dollar estimate amount is made, like over the phone, and so as said focused in an ad.

Some movement of people doing or wanting things can warrant a tested method e.g. Dentist appt.

I'm considering appointment can be implied that I would see and give a better assessment of the job, without needing to say estimate and so may be less harsh.

I guess its always a step process with customers and transactions no matter.

I'm talking a standard size news print ad and these can be in many papers of sales not news necessarily.
The same can and is easily used in photo or graphic advertisements, I might have different styles on a door vs a business card or a classified as mentioned here for the post.

kodydog

June 18, 2016, 09:24:16 am #4 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:33:29 am by kodydog
By classified do you mean newspaper? I think the newspaper is going the way of the phone book and the Dodo bird.

Lately I've spent all my spare time shoring up my internet presence and its starting to pay off. We had a fellow from score drop by. He is an expert in SEO and was full of good information. Lots of little things I never thought of to get at the top of the page during a google search.

Make sure your listed on Google, Bing and Yahoo. Also we get good response from a page we created on Houzz,  Yelp and YP. These are all free but they will call and try to get you to upgrade. Google search likes lots of pictures so put plenty on each. Make sure your information is correct and the same on each page. The only downside of online advertising is it makes it real easy for "not so serious" people to e-mail for an estimate, so some wasted time there.

For years we put "by appointment only" on our website. We work at home and didn't want people showing up unannounced or at all hours of the night. But to get on Google you must have a physical location and they verify this by sending you a card with a verification number on it. So we stopped using the "by appointment only" and now have our address on everything. And so far have not had any problems.

We have been thinking about advertising in a local glossy magazine called My Town. This is geared toward the higher end crowed. This is the customer we're trying to attract. And although we have never checked prices I'll bet its expensive. But then so are the Yellow Pages. I thing moving my budget from the Yellow Pages to the glossy magazine would be a good move. And like the Yellow Pages with this type advertising I'll need to commit to a full year to get name recognition.  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Advertising has been a nightmare for me through the years. I have advertised a few businesses and have never had enough response to pay the bill. I even went in the hole for way more than I should have to "give it a fair chance" No more for me. The web is where the work is coming from and should be your first thought. It is far less expensive and available 24-7. Easy to find if done right.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Its a small business type printing that is very common in these mid states still and I can say 3 maybe 4? counties or close to 2500 square miles each.

These have been independent of news and are total advertisement for individuals sale items not so much flashy ads here but plenty contractors and the like.
Also to add a bit the ones I am familiar with are not linked in any way and have been a small biz.

It may be considered more in agriculture areas but I do find the same in KC and St.Louis areas.
It is tough for me to understand many many older than I use all the e-commerce and medias at hands reach on their phone, but probably an easy count of hands say the majority use another older and tested source.

I will say your site is top quality and a very good measure for one to resemble in the trade.
To recall the Score association they do a great job and have available here professionals though I have not taken advantage of the programs as yet. I do remember a time ago Gene mentioned them and so looked a bit with good interest, in time i would like to pursue more.

For the classified I'm considering just the; call for appointment,  In a paper ad and also on biz cards. I probably would at this time if ordered rack cards if I decide on any.

Its the need and in some way to push the requirement, without saying I need to be on or around the project to give proper estimate.
At this time I don't make a standard product yet some calls think I would have some Products on a shelf, or just to their benefit a pattern of the same (nope). Although it is a respectful thought to call and check, even the best I know of in this tradecraft are not that snappy quick.

I find myself repeatedly saying do you have this or that mounted, is this windshield used on your option model or these seats. Its weird but many times I think I care more about there boat than they.
Its trying to make it a smoother process, I'm clearly not trained in enough sales.

The magazine you mention is a nice option as we also have a similar and I believe in big support with local chamber and related.
With that your business is a class act so I do think your idea is good to pursue that advertisement.
I am no expert but do easily know some photos are staged with certain pieces in ours, with work as you all here on the site produce.
I know their are many pros working together on some of them photos shoots there has to be.
I do in some ways think the need to get "dress up shoes" on to look at the mag : )
Although it has most new business of chamber linking some where, and some are Headlined very well I would get the helper ducks in line prior to contact.

I hear you Paul the pc or the tech diagnostic ability I totally understand and couldn't live without.
As much time as i spend in front of the screen I should have a solar system size webb presence yet The work is elsewhere and required pro work needs upgraded towards the net.
So in time, and hopefully short order.

Hey good points there, thanks and have a great weekend
Floyd