Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:07:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Poser from a hoser.eh

Started by Darren Henry, October 20, 2016, 06:14:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I'm installing hulliner in an old Boler camper and am having trouble with the upper corners. Photo bucket has gone sideways on me but will try to post those pics later.

Any ideas on the best way to form those complex corners??

Thanks.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

I haven't caught on, by definition a hull liner is a covering and since this is a camper, I suppose it is either on the inside or outside?

Is the title a clue?

Doyle

Darren Henry

Boler campers are little fibreglass campers that were vogue in the 70's and 80's . This project is the same as lining the inside of a boats hull with hulliner as seen in the bow/aft births of a sailboat or cabin cruiser.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Not sure what PB's problem was last night, but here are a couple of pics.

Here is what I have once the walls and end are in place

This end is inside a cupboard so I tried a couple of things. On the right I tried an "L" shaped cut but the foam behind it made getting a nice clean seam impossible . On the left I'm handstitching a pleat from the point out to the corner of the window.

The other end is only partially concealed by a bunk, so any advice on a nice clean seam is much appreciated.

MinUph

Daren,
It looks like you have the right idea in fitting and hand sewing the seams in place. You mentioned the foam giving you trouble. How much foam did you put in there? 1/4" 1/2"? Anyway folding and hand sewing is probably the only way to get the job done.  One little trick is to make a cut where the seam will end up, lightly glue the lower section to the foam tucked under the upper section, then turn and sew the upper section to this. It will hold it all in place better when done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

There is 1/2" foam about a foot wide from just inside the cupboard up to above the clearance light in the corners. The only grief that it gives me is if I just cut the fabric and let it butt up the foam can stretch enough to let that gap open.

I finally stopped trying to force things and just let the fabric decide where to put the seam(s). It worked best gluing the top piece and then cutting out a large wedge of fabric and gluing the wall side up to it and handstitching. Luckily for me the fabric decided that a seam from the corner of the window to the corner of the roof would work LOL. It looks alright. I didn't have time for pictures on Friday but will try to sneak some on Monday.

wind_rose_2

My God , l haven't logged in for quite a while and who do l see posting but my Brother from another Mother ..Darren!
Where have you got to my friend. .last  we spoke you were still in West Ontario and working in Winnipeg or some other place near civilization .
Anyhow l am trying to find out  if Miami Mike is still around and if he is still with Miami corp.
Dave

Darren Henry

OMG I thought Trump had found out you were a foreign national and sunk your boat n Mexican waters LOL. Great to have you back!! I still have the house in NW Ontario but have been living/working in Brandon for 6 1/2 years. That's about 200 km west of Winterpeg near the Sask. border.

If you are looking for Miami Mike I assume you've headed south already. what are you up to?