Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:00:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sewon awning welt - which one is this

Started by Judy_Boat, July 30, 2014, 05:31:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

I need to get 12' of this for an awning repair for a trailer. Wind gust ripped it apart very nicely.
What is this stuff exactly, I know it is not keder welt, but some kind of rubberized version.
Failing to find this exact stuff, what is next best. I also do not want to buy a roll at $250 for a single repair.

I know I could rig some fabric over marine poly rod, but I really like the idea of plastic sliding in the channel instead of fabric.

Judy_Boat

the round part is about 9/32" diameter and the flap is about 1" depth.

MinUph

Mojo should be around soon he will know.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

ive  seen a fare share of that plastic stuff its always with a section of the round torn from the flat. ive always use normal size kedar much more durable  and my suppliers sell it by the cut yardage also

wind_rose_2

As always Mike is right, it is a type of Keder Welt. Fantastic stuff till it goes hard and breaks. This sample looks to be some type of neoprene and is probably not what should be used, it may have replaced a previous installation .

JuneC

Looks like the cheap-o beaded welt to me.  It rips right along where the needle punches the flange.  Keder brand always has the woven covering and is basically indestructible.  Google "beaded welt".  Several places sell it in cuts.  I probably have some sitting around I'd gladly give away for the cost of shipping.  I'll check tomorrow.  Crappy stuff, but I guess it worked for a while.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Judy_Boat

It is not cheap beaded welt, much more rubber than plastic and the round part is solid.
It ripped where the flange had the stitch line, not at the round flat transition. Much better made product.

Darren Henry

I'm guessing that came off a bag awning?? For a small job like this I wouldn't spend too much time chasing that stuff down. I'd just wrap plastic welt with herculite and sew it on. Stronger than that stuff,won't wear like fabric and you can still turn a profit at a fair price. MHO.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

Another easy fix is to wrap the existing welt with Dacron sail tape (comes in a few widths, 2-6", I think).  It's strong, easy to fold and sewing won't chew it up the way it does that plastic crap. 

I did a lot of those; and it was usually an "emergency"... about 3 days before Memorial Day, Independence Day, or Labor Day.  ;)

Mike

what Darren said would be great as long as it will still fit on the track. ive never seen kedar tear and it come in black or white