Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:02:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Affordable health care act

Started by sofadoc, July 25, 2012, 02:23:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

My morning paper says that Congress' nonpartisan budget office predicts that the new health plan will cut federal cost by $84 billion. So I'm thinkin' "Wow! That's some serious dinero!" "Way to go, Barack!"(insert sarcastic smiley here).
But wait! "Not so" say the Republicans. They predict it will raise the deficit by trillions!

With one side at plus $84 bill, and the other side at negative trillions, I'm sure the real truth lies somewhere in between (it usually always does).
I know that the party not in power always has to paint the bleakest picture possible, and I'm sure the Dems would poo-poo whatever plan the GOP has in much the same fashion.

But c'mon! We put these people in office, pay them handsomely, and hang on their every word, just so they can blow smoke up our ass?

Not taking sides here. Not trying to spark a heated debate (don't really have the stomach for it).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Therein lies the problem. DC is filled with lying, cheating, arrogant, power hungry low life politicians from both sides of the aisle. They are paid prostitutes who sell their souls ( and votes ) to the highest bidder.

Someone asked me not long ago if I was a Republican or Democrat. I told them I am neither that I am an American and would be ashamed to claim membership or show my support for either party. They both suck and both parties are responsible for the mess we are in.

I believe in nothing that comes out of Washington anymore. The best way to tell if a politician is lying is to see if his lips are moving.

Chris

kodydog

July 25, 2012, 04:31:52 pm #2 Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:42:59 pm by kodydog
Ditto to both of you. Who the heck can you believe anymore. On the radio Fox news says there fair and balanced and NPR says their public radio so their unbiased. I listen to both and don't buy into either. Politicians, both R and D will tell you one thing on the campaign trail and do completely different once in office.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Lots of half-truths out there - especially in the media.  I read multiple news sources hoping to gain a clear picture of what's really happening because they're all biased, but who can say I read the right ones?  As for the 84 billion savings, that just reduces the cost from $1.252 trillion to $1.168 trillion.  See...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/07/25/cbo-supreme-court-decision-could-cost-millions-their-health-care/

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

You know our system is broke when multi millionaires want to run for a political office that pays less then $ 150 K a year.

The system is so corrupt that their salary is a paltry sum when compared to what they make behind the scenes with insider trading, back door deals and God knows what else they come up with to pad their bank accounts.

I have a perfect solution to this mess. Fire every single politician holding office. Start fresh. 8 year term limits and then they have to leave. No more lobbying and a complete overhaul of campaign financing. Also get rid of the pensions and perks for lawmakers. Any new laws they make they too have to live by.

Chris

Bob T

July 26, 2012, 10:04:09 am #5 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:55:36 pm by Bob T
Here's a different perspective.  Our local hospitals are overwhelmed with indigents that we the tax payers pick up the tab for.  Approx. 80% of the ER people are repeat visitors, over and over and over.  They call 911 to send an ambulance to pick them up to take them to the hospital just to get their pain killer medicine for free, all the time knowing they will never pay the bill.  We the citizens pick up the tab.  The local children's hospital is similar. They have a never turn away a patient policy, so if a Mexican family shows up needing health care, they provide it.  I should say...we, you and I provide it.  About 80% of Driscoll Children's Hospital annual billings is to Medicaid.   Obamacare just makes a few of the deadbeats buy a minimum of insurance.  I think the hospitals are up in arms because the Obamacare is not likely to pay anywhere close to the tabs paid by Medicaid.

If the country is to ever become solvent again, it would have to do so by getting the deadbeats and undeserving off the entitlements free ride.

sofadoc

Quote from: Bob T on July 26, 2012, 10:04:09 am
Obamacare just makes a few of the deadbeats buy a minimum of insurance.
Fine by me.
So which is it? Will it save us $84 billion, or will it end up costing us extra trillions? I'm not prepared to debate the plan's effectiveness. I just wish they could narrow down the cost a little better.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

wind_rose_2

Quote from: Mojo on July 25, 2012, 03:33:38 pm
Therein lies the problem. DC is filled with lying, cheating, arrogant, power hungry low life politicians from both sides of the aisle. They are paid prostitutes who sell their souls ( and votes ) to the highest bidder.

Someone asked me not long ago if I was a Republican or Democrat. I told them I am neither that I am an American and would be ashamed to claim membership or show my support for either party. They both suck and both parties are responsible for the mess we are in.

I believe in nothing that comes out of Washington anymore. The best way to tell if a politician is lying is to see if his lips are moving.

Chris

When hasn't DC had those kinds....it is the same up here in Canada!
Dave

kodydog

July 30, 2012, 10:31:10 am #8 Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:32:24 am by kodydog
Dave, or any of our other Canadian friends give us the skinny on health care in Canada.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

forsailbyowner

Its pretty much agreed that decisions in washington are made by whoever puts in the highest bid. Now given that 3% of the population owns or controls 98% of the money who do the decisions benefit? The 97% gets poorer every time and the 3% has astronomical increases in wealth. The conservative and liberal messages are just smoke and mirrors to keep the people divided and at each others throats and oblivious to the real scenario of  redistribution of   the wealth to the mega rich. Case in point ,the biggest single blow to manufactering and jobs in the us was opening trade with china, historically the nemesis and arch rival of the us. Their plan since mao has been to make conditions ripe for revolution in the united states. open trade bill with china Courtesy of Bill Clinton who was leading a party typically driven by the poorer working class.