Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:42:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pontoon seats

Started by jojo, March 16, 2011, 12:55:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

March 16, 2011, 12:55:22 pm Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:58:22 pm by jojo
Hi Guys,
I'm working on some pontoon seats, and sewing them up as original, with a piece of stretcher canvas sewn into the seam where the welt is. Here is a pic of the loose cover:

The foam is in two pieces:

When I stapled the stretcher down, it looked like the welt was buried too far down, and you couldn't really get the full effect of the stripes. (Sorry I didn't get a pic of the stapled cover; I was so dissatisfied with the results I pulled the staples out immediately.

My question is:
Do I really need the stretcher? And if I don't, should I glue the two pieces of foam together?   :-\Thanks in advance!

Peppy

Yes you need a stretcher. No don't glue it. Thats me anyway. Draw a line on the stretcher parallel with the welt the depth you want to staple it. Staple it there. I usually mark it about 1/4" less than the thickness of the foam. (the thinner foam) I make my stretchers out of something with very little ply or give. Sunbrella works. If it's to stretchy I find it hard to make that welt lay smooth and you get speed wobbles in it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

jojo

Thanks Peppy!
One more question, if you don't mind. I sewed the stretcher into all of the seat backs, but forgot to sew it into the seats  :o, which are the same design, except that there is no welt running across the seat part. I have a 1/2" seam allowance. Is there a way to sew it into the seam allowance, or do I have to take them apart?  ???
Thanks again!

BigJohn

March 16, 2011, 02:42:19 pm #3 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:44:18 pm by BigJohn
JoJo:
    I've installed it using my zipper foot on several occasions as I'm prone to forgetfulness. I use scrap vinyl for the stretcher.
                                   Big John

Peppy

It happens... Just sew it to the seam allowance. Trickier now but it'll work.
You can do it!
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

I'll sew it on after thenseam is sewn. Don't find it tricky.
First I staple the pull or streacher down I only  pull it to the point that the seam isn't pulled down into the creavice. I lime to see the piping eve. With rhe top of the foam.

jojo

Thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's ever done this! ;D

BigJohn

JoJo:
     Let us know how the seats work out, they look like a carbon copy of some I did.
                                       Big John