Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:53:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

It's Always Something

Started by jojo, March 08, 2011, 04:49:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

March 08, 2011, 04:49:27 pm Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:51:28 pm by jojo
This is a console/armrest from a pontoon boat that the owner "repaired". I made a cover (with my new kick-ass sewing machine), and when I pulled it over, you can see all the bumps from the metal right through the vinyl.
Is there something appropriate I can put on before I put the fabric on to smooth it out?
Thanks,
Jo

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd509/stitchbiatch/console.jpg

Mike8560

I would put some 1/4" or 1/2" foam the. Cover it with slipeze a d cover it

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BigJohn

I did some like that (even in the same gray color) and I used 1/2" foam as the 1/4" that was on it from factory was bad & 1/2" is what I had, turned out great!

jojo

There was actually no foam there originally, and believe it or not, they used flannel backed vinyl for the seats and the console!  But I have to say, it held up pretty darn well for being 20 years old.

jojo

A little off topic, but pontoon boat seats always seem to have ugly 80's color schemes; usually three or four different colors of vinyl that don't really go that well together.
The ones I'm working on now are light gray, white, dark gray and red, and the owner wants them as original.
I think just red and white would've been a lot sharper.

crammage

I totally agree on the color schemes, most of them are not attractive.  RV's are another item that usually has very ugly colors and patterns used for interior decoration.  Where do they come up with those abstract patterns?

clay

BigJohn

It's just my thought but the more pieces the more chance of weather getting in!

sofadoc

Quote from: crammage on March 10, 2011, 10:01:14 am
  RV's are another item that usually has very ugly colors and patterns used for interior decoration.  Where do they come up with those abstract patterns?

The same reason that barns were always painted red. It was the cheapest color. RV manufacturers buy up all the cheap fabric (which usually just so happens to be ugly).
I do some work for a used RV dealer. He'll take whatever is cheapest.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban