Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 03:48:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Worth Upholstering?

Started by jojo, June 17, 2011, 08:40:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Found this on craigslist for $30. Thinking of getting it.....Whattya think?

sofadoc

Really, with any style of furniture, it comes down to a matter of personal taste.
I like the "50's modern" style myself. Very practical. Most of that furniture was pretty well built. With the right padding, it can be very comfortable.
The only customers of mine that have that style, usually have it throughout the whole house. A lot of people don't want to get "locked in" to that era.
If you're in to that style, or if you have a diverse decore, I think that chair will be a favorite in your home.
A lot of straight lines, certainly easy to re-cover.
I'm not the one to ask about the $30 price. People pull up to my shop every day trying to give me furniture (just to save themselves a trip to the landfill). If I took it all in, I'd be up to my armpits in stuff like that.
I'm not sure what your particular field of upholstery expertise, or experience level is, but if you're looking to "get your feet wet" in the furniture end of things, that's a great chair to start with.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Love that 50's retro stuff. Very hot right now. Just finished two similar chairs for a med student. Did them in  a leather like vinyl. He and his wife were crazy happy with them. If I saw this chair at a thrift store or yard sale for $30 I'd get it for resale. Very easy to upholster. Nice lines.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

jojo

Kody, that's exactly what I was thinking: resale.
Sofadoc, you are lucky that you often come across gems like this! I've seen upholsterers selling reupholstered mid-century chairs on etsy.com...and they are selling! Seems like shipping would be a pain, though.
I think I could resell it locally, though.

speedydec

this is my wife's favorite chair! family heirloom

bobbin

I've had a couple of pieces reupholstered over the years.  The main thing I've learned is that the real measure of furniture is the frame.  If the frame is of good quality (usually hardwood and screwed together) the piece is worth the time and effort to reupholster.   Everything seems to be based on the quality of the frame.  Up until the mid-80s, thereabouts, if the piece was manufactured in the USA the odds are excellent that the frame is of good quality.  Would you upholstery guys agree with that?

I am not "in love" with the mid-century modern look, but my brother sure is! and I keep my eyes peeled for pieces of that style.  Personally, I prefer Art Deco, or the tried and true Colonial reproduction and more traditional pieces.  But, I should say that I never batted an eye about having the mid-century arm chair and sofa that presently grace our living area recovered!  They may not have been my ideal when it came to style, but I was no fool as to the relative quality of the pieces!  they've served us well and they blend beautifully with the nice antique pieces we have inherited.  Great style, timeless, and if you choose your fabric carefully they will meld seamlessly into any room. 

I'd reuphoster and then make slipcovers to change the "look". 

gene

My first thought is "Anything is worth reupholstering if I get paid." My second thought is "Not really. There are some things I just don't want my name on."

My third thought is "Bugs." I find it interesting that I have never, NEVER, taken into my house used furniture. My wife got a sofa from a friend of ours years ago while I was out of town. I went nuts, but only for about 2 years. That's when "we" decided to throw it out and buy a new one.

My fourth thought is that I really like the responses from everyone. To add to Bobbins comments about the frame, straighten your back, bend at the knees, and lift the chair up, or at least one end of it. If it is heavy, it's probably a hard wood frame. I don't think furniture makers would use glue and staples to hold a hard wood frame together.

My fifth and final thought is that it looks like the seat needs a new foam insert. Do the tufted buttons indicate that it has been reupholstered by someone who did not center the buttons, or is that part of the style? The buttons seem even with the top of the arms.

Please post pics if you have it done. I'd love to see what fabric(s) you pick out.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Quote've had a couple of pieces reupholstered over the years.  The main thing I've learned is that the real measure of furniture is the frame. 

My standard answer to "is this worth re-upholstering?" is give it the grunt test. If you and your brother in law both grunt loading it into the truck ----- it's definitely a keeper. If you can load the sofa yourself---- You've got a bag of hockey sticks and cardboard. Run over to Wally world and get a new one.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!