Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:31:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Arthritis

Started by limey, January 14, 2012, 04:10:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

Apologies if this is not a subject for general discussion but here goes. After almost 40 years (began apprenticeship in 1972 at 16 years of age) as a trimmer, my arthritic wrist gave out and I had what is known as four post surgery to relieve pain from a long ago broken bone. Initially I was told by my surgeon to expect an eight week recovery period. This has now been extended due to more damage than initially thought and I could now expect to be out more than three months. I believe I can just about survive this amount of time off if I stick to tuna fish and ramen, but I am in the dark as to what to expect after said recovery period. I will have physical therapy and hope to recover strength, and I have a strapping son to do "grunt" work for me. Anyone out there experienced similar surgery? Just wondering what I should prepare for. Occasional poster, but avid reader of forums, many thanks.

sofadoc

Physical health is something that all of us stitchers should worry about.

A banker can still "bank" with a bum wrist. An accountant can still "account" with a bad knee.
But if OUR limbs fail us, our only option is to don the blue smock with the yellow smiley face, and practice saying "Hello, welcome to Wal-Mart".

Take care, Limey. I don't know what is in store for you, and probably don't wanna know.
Any chance of teaching that son of yours any more than mere "grunt work"? 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

hiya

I'm watching my little finger starting to go crooked and worried that
it will extend to the others sooner or later.

What I am doing is getting myself setup for the eventuality I will loose
the use of at least one hand by selling to DIY'ers online.

Its hard work running 3 businesses but at some point the hands on sewing
will come to an end.

I hope this helps
Rich

kodydog

No Government assistance Limey?

I fractured my elbow in a bicycle vs dog accident about 15 years ago. Even though I went to 6 weeks of therapy I have not been able to fully extend it since. It still reminds me its there when I stress it out a little too much.
I pray every day that it doesn't get worse. I'd like to work another 15 or 20 years.

My wife has the beginning stages of arthritis. She really feels it after sewing a big vinyl cushion job. More and more I'm taking over the cutting and sewing and shes running the business. (almost a full time job in itself)

Its tough to be out of work with an illness or aches and pains but have confidence you'll be at it again soon.

Get well soon Limey and keep us posted on your recovery.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

I have arthritis in both hands - index fingers mostly.  The pain comes and goes - I just ignore it because from everything I've heard, the kiss of death is to stop.  Joints freeze up.  I also have weakness in my left wrist from a fall on a boat that I'm sure one day will give me absolute fits.  I tore something inside but never had it dealt with (no insurance).  Luckily I'm right-handed, but I now handle things differently.  You learn to accommodate the disability after a while and I don't even think about it anymore.  Hang in there, do the therapy, and keep us posted on your progress. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

January 15, 2012, 09:51:30 am #5 Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:58:30 am by gene
I had a lady sewing for me a few years back. She had sewn all her life and spent many years running a quilting machine that had a lot of vibration to it. Her wrists got so bad she had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists to try to relieve the pain. She got acupuncture from the VA as well as physical therapy. She has had to give up all sewing and finds the most relief from putting her hands in a wax therapy thing she bought from Walmart.

Any repetitive motion will eventually wear out the body parts doing it. I've read that piano repair persons and makers rarely are able to continue working past their mid 50's.

There's a guy south of me who forges metal things like gates and fences and decorative items. He does it the old fashion way with mainly hand power. He said his hands were totally wasted by the time he was 25.

http://www.just4kidsmagazine.com/prayinghands.html

best of luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Best wishes Limey. When I broke my calcaneus (heel bone) in August I also sprained everything badly. The bone has never given me any grief but the ankle is still swollen and a little tender. Surgery is hopefully better than mishap to recover from.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

limey

Thanks to all who posted, 3 weeks after surgery, a lot less pain and a cast with exposed fingers and thumb. Allows me to hen peck at the computer so I hope to provide some input to those looking for old car help. Sincerely hope I don't become a pain myself! To mr Fragged, I like the idea of finding a sideline to "flog" online, I have 30 years of quality leather leftovers, anyone have an ideas what to do with them? Cheers, Bill O'

RocketmanMH1

I never get the chance to work with leather, I might be int.  in buying a few to mess around with.

RocketmanMH1

Oh yeah, I hope your recovery is a speedy one. :)

Darren Henry

Glad to hear you're on the mend Bill. Speedy recovery.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!