Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:14:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

JUKI LU-563 driving me insane

Started by njpatriot, November 30, 2011, 11:00:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Try to pull the bobbin thread tightly to the left, so it will snap in under the tension leaf.
Press your right index finger against the bobbin so it won't turn while you are pulling the thread to the left.
It's a little hard to tell in the video, but if the hook isn't picking up the top thread on every go-round, then you have timing issues.
I always pull both threads to the right rear when I start to sew (and hold on to them). And I don't run the top thread through the needle hole on the welt foot.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brownie2

Try tightening the needle thread tension.
Is the thread fully seated between the tensioner discs?
Try both threads held to the back.
Those videos are great.  Someone should be able to diagnose the problem soon.
I have barely got to sew with my machine.  I took lots of it apart to clean.  I replaced a few items too.  Tonight after reading your post,  I threaded it up and had similar problems.  I first had to adjust the needle bar height then had to remove thread from under the bobbin case.  I too got frustrated and walked away till tomorrow.  I will fill a bobbin with matching thread and start over.

Therapy

I have the 563 and sometimes i cant get it to pickup
the bobbn  thread
What i do is tie both threads together
and then pull the bobbn thread up and cut it off
hay it works for me and sews just find
I would try this before you do anything
  Mike H
Juki 563

JuneC

Can you post a photo of how you have the machine threaded?  It almost looks like your take-up spring on the tension assembly ain't working (or top tension is too loose) so that too much thread gets under the fabric. 

Also, instead of using the motor, turn the flywheel by hand with your fabric right on the edge so you can watch the hook do its work.  Using white thread will help you see.  Not enough hands?  Pull both threads out to the left and hold with the left hand while you start turning with the right. 

Hang in there.  We'll get you through this.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

njpatriot

Thank you all, I am up and running!  I started fresh this evening and took a little advise from all who gave suggestions.  I tightened the needle thread tension ensuring it was seated in the tension discs.  I removed all debris from under the bobbin case ( there was plenty of thread under there).  I threaded the bobbin thread under the bobbin tension spring by holding the bobbin as I pulled the thread to the left.  Once I threaded the needle above the walking foot I held it and the bobbin thread to the left for the first few stitches.  I started the first few stitches by hand to get it started, preventing the knots under the fabric.  This is the first time this machine has worked for me, and I an very appreciative for all of your help.  I am attempting to upload three videos of me as I was attempting to fix my problems.  I will post this and create another post with the videos if anyone is interested in viewing them. 

One more question, if my machine is successfully sewing does that mean that the safety clutch was not engaged and the timing is not off?  Thank you all again for your cooperation and assistance.

Jeff

sofadoc

Quote from: njpatriot on December 01, 2011, 05:50:26 pm
One more question, if my machine is successfully sewing does that mean that the safety clutch was not engaged and the timing is not off?

If the safety clutch had kicked in, the hook wouldn't be turning.
And if it is sewing sucessfully, then the timing can't possibly too far off.
Try this:
Put black thread on top
Use a white bobbin
Sew a couple of layers (medium weight)
If the 2 tensions are set properly, you shouldn't be able to see any white thread on the top, or any black thread on the bottom
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

December 01, 2011, 06:25:56 pm #21 Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:33:38 pm by kodydog
Quote from: njpatriot on December 01, 2011, 05:50:26 pm
I held it and the bobbin thread to the left for the first few stitches.  
Jeff

I usually hold my thread straight back or to the right when I start sewing. You will find your work will be on the left which will make it difficult to hold the bobbin thread that way also.

Feels good to finally get it going doesn't it?

Also BigJohn posted a good chart on needle and thread size here

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=6371.0
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

njpatriot

December 01, 2011, 06:55:45 pm #22 Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:57:38 pm by njpatriot
Here is my threading video.  I am working on the others.

http://youtu.be/tZArgqw_y00

Yes it does feel good to get it right.  Now I can get working!

brownie2

Dang it!
Now I'm having pretty much the same issues.
I'll start over tomorrow.

bobbin

It takes a village, baby! good to know you're up and running.

Mike8560

Glad youngot it going it's can be frustrating.  I took a series of pix loadinb the thread  bit I see you got it.;)

bobbin

Now that you can actually operate the machine without tearing your hair, NJ, what sort of project do you have in mind?  (are you a Patriots fan who lives in NJ or a Revolutionary War Re-enactor?)

I was thinking about this thread today and I was reminded how much you really have to know to be able to operate a sewing machine with confidence.  I feel the same way about computers! and was dazzled by your linked footage. 

(big fan of the broken seam ripper as a tool, too, Mike! very useful, I like it for removing cheap, 20g. glass in window replacements)

njpatriot

Not a patriots fan, patriot was my call sign back when I was in the military.  I am not a New Jersey native, moved here for employment with my family.  It njpatriot was just something that I use on the internet. 
   My projects are sewing dog leashes for police dogs.  The canine handlers like cotton leashes that I custom make to fit them.  Different people will wrap them around their waist, loop them over their shoulder like a sam brown belt, or around their neck past the front of their shoulder then clasp it around their lower back.  There are many different sizes so I measure them and sew them up.  Just a nice little hobby. 

brownie2

did you ever get that last video?  I'd love to see video of the bobbin in action. 
I haven't tried again today.  I've missed something.

njpatriot

December 03, 2011, 05:10:21 am #29 Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:24:02 am by njpatriot
This is what I have.   I hope this helps you out.

http://youtu.be/FhKShSlMYM0

http://youtu.be/7jqZX7QRa9Y