Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:54:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Practical Sailor: Functional Fabrics

Started by Tejas, December 01, 2011, 02:22:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Just sayin', 20 years with virtually no special care seems to trump anything available today, painted or not.

bobbin

Try pre-shrinking canvas and then applying the requisite coats of paint to deliver a "20 yr." finish and you will quickly learn that it's not as simple as you may think.  Just sayin'    ;)

jojo

Found 10oz pre shrunk for 5.99 yard, 60 wide.

http://www.sellfabric.com/servlet/the-636/fabric%2Ccotton%2Ccorduroy%2Csewing%2Capparel%2Cupholstery%2Cbuy/Detail

jojo

bobbin

December 04, 2011, 10:13:47 am #19 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:16:35 am by bobbin
But 40 yrs. ago they didn't have the luxury of off-shore, pennies for an hour workers now, did they?  Times have changed.  100% cotton canvas, pre-shrunk and painted has gone the way of the dinosaur, Jojo.  Sure, you can reinvent the wheel if you wish, but why? there's a better product available... solution dyed acrylic!

I've been making awnings and boat canvas for a lot of years (20+yrs.) 100% cotton canvas can't compete with acrylics.  Its shortcomings and the age of "plastics" set the stage for the rise of synthetics.  I, for one, have no intention of wasting my time "looking back" to reinvent what too many THINK they remember as greater wearability!