Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:25:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Come on Down Darren

Started by Mojo, June 26, 2010, 10:50:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Darren:

I know how much you enjoy fishing so I thought I would extend you the invitation to do some fishing
" Southern Style ".

No big fishing boats, no comfy fishing shanties, no poles, no bait.

I can cook up my famous beer battered Cajun style catfish, green fried tomatoes with Cajun Corn on the
Cob.

One ole channel cat will feed us all. Heck I will try and get Mike to come along too ( if I can get him off that big yacht of his ). :)

Here is the fishing that awaits you brother. Ya just do not know what your missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksuKTD8y0o

Ya'll come down and lets have some fun. :)

Chris

hidebound

We call that "hoggin" here in Illinois but we use a rope through the mouth and out the gills or a big hook on a pole.

Darren Henry

While cat fishing is becoming more popular here,especially on the Red river north of Winnipeg, I've yet to taste cat's. Too spoiled with alll the  other species I guess. You're menu sounds great. If I win the lotto and can afford to go further than the mail box for a change we're on.

I've heard of this "sport" of your's. I don't think it has caught on here yet, but can't say for sure. I do have some concerns about the physics though.Maybe it's the metric; but I can't see feeding a hundred and teen pounds of don't float,chain smoker, to a 45 pound fish in zero visability as a good odds prospect. NIneteen , with a gut full of hooch, you might have goaded me into it. Now, I think I'll just stap on a tank and use the Illinois approach. I'll let it take me for a walk (swim??) until it gets tired then pass you the rope. LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Catfish is one of my favorites. Coming from a Southern family I ate a lot of it while growing up. Red Snapper is my favorite, but hard to come by and expensive.

Catfish has a bit of a sweet taste to it. It is a mellow tasting fish ( when cleaned properly ) and lends itself to being battered well. Of course green fried maters is the ultimate side dish with catfish.

Mike and June are probably going to suggest I get my head examined as I think both of them are grouper lovers ( seems everyone in Florida is crazy about Grouper ) , but for me, a good ole plate of catfish cannot be beat.

The best eating fish I have ever had was fresh snapper out of the Pacific. Grilled on a cedar plank, dang, that was some good eating. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteRed Snapper is my favorite, but hard to come by and expensive

Rodger that. I've seen it in stores here but holy cow  :o I could buy T-bones for Buddy and I and a nice bottle of wine for what my serving would cost.

Up here it's salmon or lake trout (closest fresh water cousin to salmon) on the cedar plank. Most other game fish are too delicate and the smoke overpowers them.

QuoteCatfish has a bit of a sweet taste to it. It is a mellow tasting fish ( when cleaned properly ) and lends itself to being battered well. .

I don't remember if you were around when we talked about Bourbot a couple of years ago but they are a fresh water member of the cod family that look like a cat fish and an eel may have been indiscreet . Most people don't eat them because they are ugly bottom feeders and hard to skin. But they do live up to their reputation as "poor mans lobster or cod". Boil up the back half and use the front in a neuberg, battered , or in sherry and challots.

QuoteOf course green fried maters is the ultimate side dish with catfish

I haven't made those in years. When I were a lad my uncle often had that on the menu at breakfast before we went hunting. It wasn't until the movie "fried green tomatoes" came out years later that people quit looking at me like I had three heads when I suggested frying tomatoes. LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Quote from: Mojo on June 28, 2010, 06:33:35 am
Mike and June are probably going to suggest I get my head examined as I think both of them are grouper lovers ( seems everyone in Florida is crazy about Grouper ) , but for me, a good ole plate of catfish cannot be beat.
Chris

YUCK! on the catfish.   Tastes like mud.  Grouper is great, but the best eating fish on the planet has to be hogfish.  Very delicate.  Best broiled with salt, pepper, lemon juice and butter.  Salmon is good too, but I'll only buy the wild caught stuff.  I don't care for the idea of farm raised salmon where they eat corn meal like our cows - only with pink dye thrown in.  Salmon I marinate in teriyaki then saute till medium in olive oil, sesame oil and grated fresh ginger.  Yum!!!  Shoot, it's almost 9 and I'm hungry.  Later guys.  Gotta make dinner.

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I'll take grouper too you have to try. Some pompano and sheepshead also. Hmmmmm

wind_rose_2

I have to agree with June...Hog Fish..l will take it over lobster anyday.
I had some on (lots really) when down in Key West 2 weeks ago. I had alway thought of it as a sport fish for divers (spearing them) and was surprised to see it in a fish mongers shop.
Pan fried or grilled it is delicious.
I have recently last week had smoked white fish from Georgian Bay ..matter of fact as l was eating it we had the so called earthquake...l thought it was my stomach rumbling.
Three hours later 20 miles down the lake a tornado struck.
I am beginning to think it is me..it started it Feb.when l went to Fla...coldest winter they have had in years...when l was back in Key West it was the Hottest June anyone could remember (98 at night..the pool was like a hot tub)...now l head north and its earthquakes and tornados....maybe l'll head to Afganastan and solve our problems.
Dave
Ps I do like catfish too...fried!

hidebound

The good thing about catfish here in Illinois is you can catch big fish. Dont take to many to make a freezer full of fish. My favorite though is bluegill. There is a piece of meat right between the eyes of the big cats thats almost as good as bluegill though.