Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 09:24:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help...How do you make deckings for chairs.......

Started by texaslady1104, October 10, 2010, 09:50:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

texaslady1104

I have upholstered for several years but always have struggled with making decks for chairs. Currently, I am working on a Channel Back Chair - and need to know the 'tricks of the trade'.  I have the old deck, but it is so tattered and ripped that it isn't much help, plus I have had to strip this chair down to the bones - therefore, the size changed.  Is there someone out there that can give me some pointers on 'fitting' a decking piece so it is smooth and looks good?  Thanks for your help!

hdflame

Michelle,

I moved your post over here so it would get more views.  The "How'd You Do That???" area where you had it posted is more for people sharing a write up of how to do something, not for asking a question about how to do it.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you when they read it.  A lot of the experts don't frequent the forum on the weekends.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

MinUph

Are you talking about the seat deck? Or the back side of the channel back? Decking is considered the part under the cushion. Seat is the front part of the deck. Please explain what your trying to do and I'm sure we could help.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

once you have the chair re padded; look at the old cover (or a similar chair) and draw all the seams etc... on the padding. Check that you  are isometric and then take your patten from the seam lines.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

texaslady1104

I am talking about under the cushion seat decking.  Just have the channel information so you would know what type of chair I was speaking of!  Thanks for your help.

mike802

October 11, 2010, 11:39:10 am #5 Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:40:43 am by mike802
On most chairs I run the final cover fabric back to just behind the arm frame, from there I sew on a beige denim, but you can do the whole deck in the cover fabric if you wish.  There are several different ways to sew up the deck cover depending on what type of spring system and frame your chair has.  Zig zag vs coil, spring edge vs a solid edge, also if your frame is rounded in the front  your method will be different than if it is square.  Sometimes sewing is not required and folding and or tucking works well.  In my opinion a curved spring edge will be the most difficult.  Often in comes down to the type of "look" you are trying to achieve.  If you could post a picture it would help us to give you some of our opinions, but studying a similar chair should also help.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

texaslady1104

I have tried 5 times to attach a picture and the system won't except it...you can contact me by email. uphol_clsikcars@yahoo.com and I will send you a picture direct. Thanks for your help.

mike802

Do you have a photo bucket account?  If not go to photobucket.com its free.  once you have up loaded your picture to photo bucket you can embed the image onto the forum here.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

texaslady1104

I believe that works! Thank you Mike802!!  Now, can this deck be made differently, or any 'easier' ways to make it? Thank you again for your help! I love this forum - it is the BEST!  :-*

MinUph

Texas,
  There are two or three ways to make this decking and seat band.
  One is the way it is with mitered corners. Clean look no showing seams when the cushion is in place.
  Two mitered all the way back to where the finished fabric is on the sides and sewing a sew strip to be stitched to the underlying burlap in the same place where it is seamed across the deck now.
  Three no miter run the fabric back to the same area as #2 but fold and make the sides Seat band seams straight on the outside edges. This will show a seam on the outer edges but is much easier to pattern if your not comfortable with mitering.
  Any way you do it you add a piece of deck cloth (denim) or self deck (same as on chair to cover the deck area. You stitch the seam you see in the picture down through the filling and into the burlap. This gives it the indentation. There are other ways but it can get complicated to explain in a post.
  Good luck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteI believe that works! Thank you Mike802!!

yes it does.There is ,however, a more user friendly way to post pics as clickable thumbs ( images you can just click on to enlarge). Once you've clicked the little box under your picture on photobucket and hit generate "HTML----- codes", select the third option "clickable thumbs for message boards et al " . Copy and when you post here just paste ( no- insert nothing )

QuoteNow, can this deck be made differently, or any 'easier' ways to make it

They don't get much easier than that. And if I redid that piece I'd be as original as possible {resale value etc..}.

> it's in two pieces ( if it's like all the ones I've done). Because we're going to pattern before you take it apart my instructions may sound  out of sequences as we go just think "lay all the pieces right to left when you take it apart and put it together left to right".

:D Cut a piece of fabric (centered on your pattern ) long enough to go 2" under your outside arm on each side and wide enough to go 1" beyond the board you are about to find and 1" past where you are going to staple it to the bottom of the chair.

Mark centre on the chair and lay the strip on so that it is centred ↨ and ↔ . Secure in place with skewers, hat pins, what ever. One at each end and one 1-2 " either side of the corners. Mark the darts at the corner ( allowing seam allowances,of course) and the inside edge of those boards. hint : you are making a 90 º dart on a rounded corner. You need to take some material away at the tip of that "v" to round it to fit.

When you strip it down the rest will be self explanatory.

Cut an over sized piece for seat itself,notch it around the frame as you staple it on,staple the new front border on to the board(s) with your chalk mark on the inside edge, check the fit and then nail that assembly back in place , wrap it and tack it.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

:-[ Oops forgot a paragraph. Once you lift the tacks/staples on the bottom of the chair and fold the fabric up; I'm expecting that you will find the top wrapped around apiece ( or pieces) of wood that is nailed onto the frame after the fabric has been nialed to the bottom of it.

texaslady1104

Thank you much guys, I will work on it this weekend and send pictures sometime next week!  VERY help information