Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 01:46:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting a new mattress

Started by PedroSono, April 19, 2016, 02:56:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PedroSono

Hello!

I'm thinking about getting a new mattress. I'm finally moving out and I'd like to try something other than my SleepMaster. Any advice for a guy with back pain?

boyfalldown

About the only thing I can say is do not get a simmons. Their quality control has gone waaaaaay down hill and warrantee support stinks. My first two were great but the one i bought in 2013 is horrible.

Virgs Sew n Sew

You might try a site called Spine Health.  They discuss all kinds of issues related to back/spinal issues and there have been numerous threads about mattresses for people with those issues.  A lot will depend on what is wrong with your back and there are very knowledgeable people there about different issues.

I had a Restonic that I really liked during my serious back issues but they are based out of Missouri so don't know if they are available in your area.  Try to get something with what is called "Marvelous Middle" -- it simply keeps your body for imprinting so easily so the mattress regains its original shape.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mike

your susposed to buy new matress? my current is 12 years old before that I was getting poked by springs

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mike on April 19, 2016, 06:15:39 pm
your susposed to buy new matress? my current is 12 years old before that I was getting poked by springs

LOL Mike, when I worked at the furniture store, the store manager told us that mattresses/box springs should be replaced at least every 7 years.  Also, you should buy matt/box springs as a set because they are designed to work together.  How much of that is true I don't know, that was just what we told customers.  Some are supposed to be rotated every 3 months and some should not be.  Your salesperson should tell you that at the time of purchase.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mojo

I went with a 13 inch memory foam mattress with a gel top pad. Love it.

Chris

Bob T

April 20, 2016, 09:10:40 pm #6 Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:23:51 pm by Bob T
We used to be in the RV Mattress business so we are very familiar with mattress construction.  We've had  Talalay Latex mattresses and like them very much, but they are a little bit "bouncy".  They hold up exceptionally well and have a true 25 year life expectancy.   Memory foam is very popular but there are some things you will need to know.  They tend to sleep warm, and they are difficult for you to roll over in at night.  Your body weight make a temporary depression in the foam and when you go to roll over you have to first roll out of the depression you created.

When we purchased our current mattress, we first did a lot of research.  Our selection was a Saatva.  It is an incredibly good innerspring mattress with a memory foam top on it.  See: http://www.saatvamattress.com/?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=150052551&pt_adgroup=7683054111&pt_keyword=saatva&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0dy4BRCuuL_e5MeqmNABEiQAq8iNI0Dw4vYTUd0bfh43ZVOiXsTmj6d3oDVctNc7qaodnQ0aAoMf8P8HAQ

Read all you can about it, especially the reviews.  We used our existing box spring and put the Saatva mattress on top of it.  Then we added a sheepskin mattress pad on top of it.  It is incredible. We've owned some superb mattresses, but this is the best so far.  You have to be careful of the thickness you order, as the bed height can become too high very easily, but oh what a bed.  When you order, Saatva handles all the shipping to your home, plus taking the mattress into the home, unpackaging it, and placing it on you box spring.  They even remove your old mattress if you want. Don't be afraid of ordering from Saatva.  They far and away exceeded our expectations.  They have built an incredible reputation based on quality.

When it comes to many name brand mattresses, there is a lot of bullscat in their construction and pricing. When we were in the business, I remember one mattress that came in 6 different iterations. It was exactly the same mattress inside, only the ticking was changed.  Of the six models, they ranged in price from $450 to over $1400.  The only thing that changed was the ticking.  That's why I stay away from Simmons, Sealy, Sterns and Foster, Serta, etc, etc.

Bob T

I just read the comment about the mattress and box spring being designed to work together.  Again, we were in the business and saw lots of box springs.  Truth is, just about any better quality box spring will work fine.  I say better quality, because the poor quality ones are made from things like cardboard.  We have a skirt over the box spring and it hides the fact that the mattress and box spring fabrics don't match, the box spring is out of sight.

Mike

April 21, 2016, 05:27:47 pm #8 Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:28:30 pm by Mike
I used to have a neighbor who made mattress. what was interesting was he told me he and his brother escaped from Russia  by buildubg a DIY helicopter and flying low.  they crashed  but on free soil