Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:10:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Best Bargain Sewing Machine for Upholstery and Leather?

Started by mand15, February 16, 2016, 06:25:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mand15

Hey guys, we're doing a bit of a makeover in our house and are going to start with the living and dining areas. Pretty much all of our sofas and chairs have some kind of rip or tear in them so I wanted to set about repairing and recovering where necessary. I have reasonable ability and am keen to hone my skills so want to try and do as much as possible myself. I need some recommendations on a machine that I can use with both leather and upholstery that's within my $400- $500 budget. Any suggestions?

Mojo

I will let the furniture pro's make comments on which would be the best. I will state though to stay clear of the cheap walking foot sewing machines that are similar to the Sailrite models or those like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTRIAL-WALKING-FOOT-HEAVY-DUTY-SEWING-MACHINE-UPHOLSTERY-LEATHER-COMMERCIAL-/222025019068?hash=item33b1b8eebc:m:mWbhdkjLoi5qI6diNGNUxYg

These machines are junk. They need constant adjustment, the tolerances are so off it isn't funny
and the parts cheap. I started out on one and it was a major POS. I spent more time fixing it then I did sewing on it. It was the most frustrating machine I could have ever bought. The only good thing that came out of it was I learned about sewing machines and how to repair and adjust them. Junking that thing was a happy moment and I celebrated that day.

Stick with a name brand model and stay clear of the cheap chinese machines. Maybe find an old singer or juki or consew. There are machines out there that are 40 and 50 years old that will sew circles around some of the cheaper machines of today. Watch craigslist and before pulling the trigger on one, come back here with the model number and someone on here will have had experience with it and tell you if it is a good deal and machine for your purpose.

Chris

brmax

I would keep an eye out on craigslist, its the go to for most of us. Weather we can score a deal that's another thing. If you see something we all are here to give best advice heres something I scored try it, it seems to also show some old sold items also. just got it few day ago. probably have it already.
Floyd

http://www.statewidelist.com/

sofadoc

I'm not saying that you won't find a deal on CL that is within your budget. But those deals are rare and risky for someone that isn't familiar with walking foot machines. It's easy to get burned on a junker.

It's common for CL sellers to list a machine as a walking foot machine when in reality, that couldn't be any further from the truth. So you better know your brands and model numbers. They all say "It will even sew through leather". Beware when they say that.

The model numbers most likely to be found nearest your price range:
Singer 111W
Consew 225, 226, 205, 206
Juki LU- 562, 563
Pfaff 145

There are many more. But again, the odds that you will find one in good working order for $500 aren't good. I suggest you plan to spend $800-$900 on a used one from a reputable dealer. Use the machine until you have finished your household projects, then put it back up for sale. You should be able to recuperate most (maybe even all) of your money. Consider the machine "money in the bank" until you're done with it. 

If you'll tell us your nearest big city, we can poke around on CL and see if there any available that we would recommend.

Happy hunting.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I have to chime in again and say Sofadoc  nailed it I think at 800-900 and the key point being, ability to turn it right away at near the same "if " a machine of that caliber. My last two were exactly in that arena figure and the high range only because I ate to much going to get it, the other was cheaper so I could eat the same on the road trip. Both not over a couple weeks time on the machines together combined!, they both needed tuning. 1541they were
ask away
Floyd

Bob T

Finding a good machine can take some time.  To aid in this process, I have found a Craigslist search engine which can be a big help.  It's worth a try:  http://zoomthelist.com/

brmax

mand15

I probably should have mentioned that I've been living in India for about 5 and a half years and only really visit the States now for a few weeks each year to catch up with friends. I have used Craigslist before since I've been away to order small items that I can then collect from a family member once I go back and visit. Unfortunately we might not even make it back this year and a sewing machine is a little bulky for bringing in our luggage anyway. Have been looking for a similar site over here to see if I can find somewhere that delivers to Delhi. Found this site for used sewing machines http://www.for-sale.in/ so far but there's not a great choice so will continue looking.

mand15

As much as I love the lifestyle out here, I do miss how easy it was back in the states to find virtually whatever you want and get it delivered the next day without any hassle. Appreciate all the great feedback, just hope I can find what I'm looking for or I may just have to wait until we go back and pay for the extra luggage allowance. At least I'd have plenty of time to look out for a bargain on Craigslist then.

brmax

Sorry I should have looked, but?
Them smart phones I hear about would be the ticket as they say, and mine is to small to really appreciate photos much less the world wide web. Laptop pc works for me best in searches.
So I would check the factory outlets in your country, and through that product line. Seems an easy route from top down. Example what is the factory locally using in their manufacture, and then research that supply line coming in at levels.
That's my morning response, Good day