Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:58:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Defiance Button Machine

Started by Bear, December 10, 2014, 01:46:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

I just picked up a foot lever operated Defiance button machine.

There's no name plate, oddly, but I think it is a 1920 model.

It came with a box full of dies.

After searching all over the Internet, I haven't been able to find any information or operator's manual for this press.

Does any one have any of this information for this machine?

Thank you very much!

-Bear

sofadoc

Are you familiar with operating a typical Handy/Osborne bench press and dies? If not, here is a video to familiarize you with standard button pressing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9V8cE1hKuI

Or is your question more technical regarding the foot press Defiance model?  If so, I'm no help. I've only seen them online. I've never seen one live and in person. Maybe Paul has. He was probably in high school in 1920.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Found a couple of pics on line---but lost the passwords when I hit the wrong button TEE-HEE. Same physics  as Dennis pointed out. In the pics I saw it looked like it ran "upside down" to the Handy junior in the first vid. The cap and wad go in the end that has the spring/ the back should go in the rigid one with the deep hole to accept a nail back etc...Back in shoemaker/leather crafting life I worked at a place that had a foot operated press like that for tube rivets. You know--- like where the pockets get attached to your carpenter's belt etc... It was sweet---I'd love one for buttons and rivets and any other dies that would fit. Great score Buddy---You'll love it!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on December 10, 2014, 02:27:16 pm
Maybe Paul has. He was probably in high school in 1920.

Easy fella :)
  I graduated HS in 1969. My dad might have been in school in the 20s lol
No help on the button machine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Quote from: Bear on December 10, 2014, 01:46:42 pm
I just picked up a foot lever operated Defiance button machine.

First of all, congratulations!  Have you ever used a button machine before?  Do you have any specific issues? -problem with dies, perhaps?  Speaking of which, do the dies screw on to the machine?  Does the base move back and forth?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Mojo

1969 Paul ???

Geeesshhhh, I wasn't even born yet........lol.....

I cannot provide any help as my press is a bench model that I bought from the old man in Texas
( Dennis ). Geeesshhh we seem to have alot of old people on this forum. :)

Chris