Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 08:54:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

rug binding

Started by byhammerandhand, November 27, 2014, 05:12:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Has anyone here done any edge binding of rugs?   My daughter has a couple that are starting to show signs of wear and because the rug is cleanable, the current binding is not colorfast to water.   Any idea where to buy that stuff, or even have it done at a specialty shop?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

I have bound alot of carpet using my Chandler. I cut down the pile close to the edge and run that through my binder. I use acrylic binding. It is not a fun job but it can be done.

Or simply call your local carpet store and ask them who does their binding. In my area we have a traveling guy who goes from one area to another binding carpet for carpet stores. He does our area on Wednesday.

Just used the guy and he did a great job. I think they charge by the foot. Cost us $ 80 but this was a room size rug.

I do small throw rugs and was not going to struggle running a huge piece of carpet through my machine. The binding machines this guy uses is on wheels and goes right along the floor and around the edges of the carpet. Slick setup.

Chris

gene

I looked into buying a rub binder a few years ago thinking that service might be something I could get into. I found that there are many folks already doing it and I didn't think I could charge enough to make it worth my while.

There are rub binder machines that make sewing the binding easier than with a sewing machine.

I would think any carpet store would do binding or at least give you a name of the guy who does it for them.

I don't have any references for you.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on November 27, 2014, 08:48:05 pm
I would think any carpet store would do binding or at least give you a name of the guy who does it for them.
I get a lot of requests from local carpet dealers to bind leftover pieces so the customer can use them as a hallway runner.

I also get requests from RV dealers that want some binding work done.

Binding attachments are expensive, and they are NOT "one size fits all". And then you get into all the different bindings to choose from. Combine those factors with the fact that most people really don't want to pay very much to have it done, I made the decision years ago to stay out of that business.

Here's a homemade job that I did with my own remnant piece of carpet. I cut a 3" wide strip of black vinyl, sewed it face-to-face to the carpet, then wrapped it over to the back side, and sewed it again from the top side (burying the seam in the rut between the binding and the carpet).

It looked "OK", but not good enough to use in my home.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

mike802

During my auto trim years I used to bind lots of auto carpets.  Then a guy who owned a remnant store brought me a home carpet to bind, I did the job but, told him I was not interested in any future business.  Home carpets, even area rugs are usually very large and require a lot of room if you are using your regular machine.  They also tend to be very stiff and just plain difficult to work.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Dede

Another option:  Instabind Carpet Binding

http://www.installersstore.com/cgi-bin/INSstore.pl?user_action=category&category=Instabind%20Carpet%20Binding

I've never tried this product, but here's one upholsterer's review:

http://www.carrscorner.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3481.msg28885#msg28885
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Darren Henry

I've had to do as Dennis mentioned several times. [My diaper knows all--he's "done it a hundred times--it'll be fine"], and it can work. The key is to use extremely thin material---other wise you fight what  he shows in his photo. I've had decent results using 1 1/4 " vinyl binding---but it is cheezy. If I were allowed to think or gawd forbid make a suggestion--- I'd use fabric.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I used to take a few jobs installing and binding  marine carpet in the cockpit of boats using 1" acrylic binding

what a pia  I stay away from it now but I did get asked to bid a searay cabin interior headliner to carpet, not fun either

Mojo

To effectively bind the carpet without going out of your mind use acrylic 1.5 inch binding. Like Mike said using 1 " binding will drive you insane.

I am not sure how much rug binding machines are but I can tell you that this is a better job for a strong young guy. Moving large area rugs is very hard on an old body. Like ( the other Mike ) said you
have to have alot of room to do large pieces of carpet.

One other thing, offering binding services for carpet stores also means measuring and truing up the carpets so they are square. The carpet we had bound is approximately 13 x 15 and because it is a thick heavy pile weighs a ton.

There is not enough money out there for me to consider offering these services. I bind my own throw rugs for the house and coach but wont tackle the big pieces.

Chris

bobbin

I think the really hot set up for binding carpet is a "mobile unit", basically a machine on wheels that the operator runs along the edge of the carpet while on the floor.  They're expensive and I've thought about snagging one if available. 

I, too, had the dubious task of binding marine carpet using a Juki 1508 and a vinyl binding (1.5") that was prefinished (folded over and glued) on one edge.  Operation as follows:
1.)  apply raw edge of vinyl binding to the underside of raw edge of carpet, using 1/4" allowance. 
2.)  flip carpet and fold the vinyl binding over to the right side of the carpet. 
3.)  stitch through the prefolded (glued) allowance of the binding to secure the binding in place. 

It was a dreadful operation and I loathed doing it.  Bear in mind that boss was cheap about equipment and the tabling was not ideal.  I did not, however, have the presence of mind to shave down the nap of the carpet as Mojo suggests! (you're brilliant!).  I suspect that would make the operation a lot easier, though no less unwieldy. 

byhammerandhand

Thanks for all the help and comments.  I'll pass them along.   She has one runner that's about 2' x 8' and a roughly 8x10 under the dining table.   Both are the same and are very flat, no pile to speak of.    I think she's decided to check with the carpet services in her area (Cleveland metro), if not, there are a couple of good ones here in Cincinnati.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison