Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 07:40:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread for Marine Upholstery

Started by Lmc530, July 29, 2011, 07:16:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Quote from: SteveMoke on October 10, 2011, 01:20:58 pm
You took the words right out'a my mouth DB ... I thought 20 gallons per hour was a typo!

Goodness, no!  20 GPH is just sipping fuel.  It would be double that with gas engines (at the same speed).  We'll get probably 50% better fuel consumption at idle speeds.  Have a look at offshoreonly.com for what some of the gas boats burn - and most are much smaller than 38'.  It's not unusual to burn 50 to 60 gallons per hour in a performance boat.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

June, am I really understanding this;  60 times (the price of diesel) per hours?

Now we know who is making all the money.  I also know what my next stock purchase will be in.  There are boats all over and around the coast.

Lets see, how does that compare to a performance car, a real mean one?  About $50 bucks per hour, and I am assuming they run off high octane gas. 

Well, it cost to do anything, for example professional sports seats, especially if it is a world series event.

Doyle

JuneC

Actually, it's 60 times the cost of a gallon of gasoline ++ per hour.  We'll never burn that much diesel.  Also, gas on the water is about $.50 a gallon more than in a gas station.  Boats don't like ethanol and you pay a premium to buy it in a marina.  Many small boaters buy gas in the auto gas station when their boat is on a trailer but it's hard to find ethanol-free fuel.  Diesel, on the other hand, is less expensive in a marina.  There's no road tax. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Interesting, then it is logical that tank(s) sizes on those type of boats are well over a 100 gallons.  There is a big ocean out there to be cruised.

The weight of fuel alone takes considerable fuel to lug round.

Ready for this, some of our rigs, on a trailer, will fill their ten gallon tank up and go out for a day.  Of course these are rigs that go at a much lower speed, fishing boats primarily.  However, some of these rigs do have two tanks of that size, a spare in case.  I suppose at our bigger lakes, the statistics change to much like June is painting; because, I do hear about twin engine boats (some twin V8) that relatively, do drink a lot of fuel over a weekend of boating.  Those boats much be in the 25 foot range, more or less.  I don't see these. but boaters will bring me interior pieces and covers to work on.

BTW, time to buy some oil stock!

Doyle