Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 07:22:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

attaching chair backs

Started by Unicorn, October 10, 2011, 12:13:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

I'm recovering some patient interview chairs for a doctor's office.  They were previously in a tweed fabric, but he wants them redone in vinyl.  The backs are a pressboard panel formed to follow the curve of the backrest and they were attached with a brad nailer through the tweed fabric.  Obviously I can't use a brad nailer on the vinyl.  I thought I could use fine upholstery tacks (actually shoemakers tacks, they're much finer) by installing them through the board first, then covering the board with vinyl and attaching it to the backrest, but the nail heads still show through the vinyl.  Any suggestions?

Judy

gene

How about poly batting, maybe just a thin layer, under the vinyl to help hide the tack heads?

How about decorative nails right on top of the vinyl? Not an ant trail, but just where needed.

Good luck.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Yup, nailheads.
Or possibly double cording. But vinyl double cording can be tricky.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

very small screws through a trim washer would be my approach.  They will be strong, something that can go on and off, and will definitely last.  The doctors will be very disappointed if the back ever get loose.

These trim screws and decorative washers are in chrome, black, and perhaps another metal color?

Doyle

Unicorn

Thanks, all. 

Have given much consideration to your suggestions -

Decorative nails appear to be too short.  By the time you go through three layers of vinyl and the particle board there's nothing left for the frame.

The upholstery tacks, same thing - too short, and I think even with batting, once I whack it with a mallet, even gently, it will leave a mark in the vinyl.  If I used longer nails with a thin head, by the time they were pounded into the frame it would be disastrous on the outside.

Double welt - too bulky.

I like the decorative washers, and I have just enough #6 to do all 16 backs if I put one in each corner.  I only seem to have two oval head #6 screws though.  Don't know how that happened, but none of the hardware stores carry #6 oval head screws, smallest seems to be #8, so the "prototype may not be delivered to the office until Wednesday while I search out screws.  I suppose I could use regular countersinks but they just don't look the same.

I did have one other thought, which was to glue the vinyl on the sides, staple the top on the underside, flip the back down and then staple across the bottom of the backrest - no one will be looking there, and I can always make up some hidem for that.

Judy

Unicorn

;D  Decorative screws it is.  Because the board is contoured I can't staple the top - concave to convex just doesn't work somehow.  I could if the vinyl wasn't already glued to the board on either side, but then if I did, I couldn't clue the vinyl to the board on the sides....and then there's the issue of stapling it to the bottom - the back gets screwed to the chair before the back panel goes on.  So even if I COULD staple across the top, I wouldn't be able to staple across the bottom, even if the chair seat wasn't on.

Thanks!

Judy

gene

I like Doyles' approach. Got a problem? Screw it!

LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

QuoteI like Doyles' approach. Got a problem? Screw it!

LOL

gene

Gene you leave me speechless, so I will only say, doesn't take much skill, it is just straight forward reatction.

Anyway,

I have had luck finding screws and washers at wood working suppliers and at auto body suppliers.  Hope you find the parts you need without too much trouble.

Doyle

kodydog

October 10, 2011, 06:10:36 pm #8 Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:55:50 pm by kodydog
I'm not sure exactly what you have but could you throw out the pressboard back and staple single welt around the back, and apply the vinyl using ply-grip?

If this changes the look too much how about before upholstering, screw the pressboard to the back then upholster the inside back. And then use the method described above for the outside back.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Unicorn

I did one screw with dec washer in each corner of the chair back.  Looks quite smart.  Sending the husband down to Canadian Stainless tomorrow to buy me more screws!  Must have used them all up on the Studebakers.

Judy