Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 11:19:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Presser/Walking feet recommendations (auto upholstery)

Started by UpState, March 03, 2011, 06:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UpState

Just picked up a Juki LU-563 and plan to do some auto upholstery.

What would the mininum presser/walking feet recommendation be (ie size width etc)?

Which ones do I need for welting and zippers?

thanks
Ed

BTW: I have a pdf copy of the Juki LU-562/563 operators manual  if anyone needs it.

Mojo

This is just an example ( they wont fit your machine ) but it has everything you would need to get started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PACK-Presser-Feet-Juki-Singer-sewing-machine-foot-/230406214857?pt=BI_Textile_Equipment&hash=item35a547d4c9

The only other thing I can see that you may need and isn't listed here is a spring loaded guide foot. Some have raved over that foot when sewing french seams.

I bought a complete package just like this on EvilBay that also included the spring foot. I think I paid $ 35 for the entire set. I did have to touch one up just a little with my dremmel tool to get it to fit my presser bar but the rest were fine. I know of a couple members on here who have bought the high dollar feet and still had to touch them up with a dremmel. :)

Do a search using your machine and model number on Evilbay to see if they sell this entire package like I got for your machine.

Chris

UpState

Thanks Mojo..appreciate your help..I'll keep my eyes open.

Ed

Evilbay? do you mean they charge to list and item,  charge for extra photos, charges for enhanced fonts, charge when item sells and finally charge another 3% via paypal which they own? :o

Mojo

Quote from: UpState on March 04, 2011, 04:12:53 am
Thanks Mojo..appreciate your help..I'll keep my eyes open.

Ed

Evilbay? do you mean they charge to list and item,  charge for extra photos, charges for enhanced fonts, charge when item sells and finally charge another 3% via paypal which they own? :o

Yup......... Hence............Evilbay. :)

Chris

UpState

Still searching for a set, figure I'll save some money buying a set with 3 or more.

Would a double groove foot work for single welt, ie stitch on either side of the welt? What size (groove diameter) would you recommend for auto upholstery material?

How about this set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4SETS-Walking-Foot-Zipper-Right-Left-SNG-WELT-DBL-WELT_W0QQitemZ270504275264QQcategoryZ41245QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7499164058153815563

thanks

Judi

I have been thinking of ordering the same set but I wasn't quite sure.  Now I see that they also have a set that contains a spring edge foot like Mojo metioned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5SETS-Walking-Foot-Zipper-R-L-SNG-WELT-DBL-WELT-E-Guide-/270504275220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efb4fad14

UpState

Judi

The set you ID'd looks like a better deal, are you working on auto upholstery with a LU-563?  I plan on buying any required welting pre-made and just need a foot to guide for that purpose.

Ed

Mojo

There are a few of us on here that use the double welt foot. I got mine with the package of feet I bought. I do not mind it at all and actually prefer it to the single foot.

Chris

UpState

Thanks Mojo

Probably going to buy the 5 piece set Judi posted, appears to be everything I should need for my goals.

What is the spring edge guide foot intended for (ie don't know what a French seam is)?

Mojo

You can use the spring guide foot when sewing and you need to follow a line to ensure even stitching. This foot comes in real handy when doing french seams where your laying down two rows of top stitching.

The guide sits in the ditch and rides along the material ensuring you get a nice even stitch on both sides.

Chris

UpState

OK..kinda like the state trucks painting lines on the highway with the extended wheel boom out front to follow existing lines???

Mojo

UpState

Great video..that answered my questions. I especially appreciate that the guy was very slow and very deliberate...very encouraging for a new person. Most of the demo videos are done with the "pedal to the metal"...that's intimidating to a newbie.

Thanks

UpState

Let me ask...I need to buy some "initial" BLACK thread to get started and practice. I'm sure I'll be working on vinyl, leather, canvass etc.

What do I need to order, ie thread size and thread compostion material.

The Juki manual states "left hand thread" only