Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:19:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather for dining room chair

Started by gene, January 15, 2013, 06:44:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Hello,

I have 6 dining room chairs. Fully upholstered seats. These are not slip seats. The fabric is pulled down and under the wood frame and stapled onto the bottom.

The customer is thinking of using leather.

Here's a pic off the internet to show you what I mean by fully upholstered chair seat, and not a slip seat.

http://media.bellacor.com.edgesuite.net/images/500/19764789-802.jpg

How many hides would I need?

If the seat measures 24" across and 19" deep, and the average hide is 5 sq. ft., can I get two covers out of one hide?

Thank you,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

NDAV8R

Quote from: gene on January 15, 2013, 06:44:38 am

If the seat measures 24" across and 19" deep, and the average hide is 5 sq. ft., can I get two covers out of one hide?

Thank you,

gene

Hey there Gene: the average hide has 50 Sq. Ft.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

sofadoc

Depending on how pristine the hides are, you might get 4 seats out of one hide. But I would think 2 for sure.

If you could specify hides closer to 55 sq. ft., I think that 2 hides would do 6 of them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Another way to get a bit more mileage out of your hides is to do the tops of the seats in a "patchwork" of some kind. eg...four squares. Four 6X5 " pieces are easier to find than one 24X20 on some hides.

Some people like that look----some don't mind it if it's going to save them having to buy an additional hide---some don't like it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JDUpholstery

I like Darrens suggestion, at the cross, throw in a tufting button to polish it off!

gene

January 16, 2013, 06:26:03 am #5 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:28:38 am by gene
Thank you for the comments.

Yes, I meant 50, not 5. I'm now wondering if I have left any zeros off of some of my estimates? Maybe this is why I am staying busy?!?  :o

The panel size needed for fully upholstered dining room chair seats, especially the captains chairs, are often too big to be able to cut 2 panels out, side by side, going up the bolt. I appreciate your experience sofad with leather. I did not want to come up with a hide short. And I did not want to have an extra hide that might push the price of the job over the cliff, so to speak.

And that's a great idea about the top of the seat covering. I've done 4 triangles with vinyl and fabric before, one for an ottoman and several for pillow covers, but have never done it with leather. A few of those pillows got a tufted button in the center. I shared this idea with my customer and it turns out she will be going with a faux leather.

Thanks again.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on January 16, 2013, 06:26:03 am
I shared this idea with my customer and it turns out she will be going with a faux leather.
That's why I hate even giving leather estimates.

You want to be careful because of the expense. So you agonize over the estimate, only to have the customer say "Oh, never mind. I'll just go with the cheap stuff".

I always try to pre-warn customers when they come bee-boppin' in through the door throwing the "L" word around loosely. Usually, all it takes is a quick "ballpark figure" to discourage them. I do this in hopes to avoid wasting a lot of time working up a leather estimate. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Every once in a while, I get a request to replace a leather insert panel in a desk or end table.

I warn them initially that these leathers are "priced by the square inch."   A normal top runs well into three figures just for material.   That usually discourages them.

Quote from: sofadoc on January 16, 2013, 07:36:32 am
Quote from: gene on January 16, 2013, 06:26:03 am
I shared this idea with my customer and it turns out she will be going with a faux leather.
That's why I hate even giving leather estimates.

You want to be careful because of the expense. So you agonize over the estimate, only to have the customer say "Oh, never mind. I'll just go with the cheap stuff".

I always try to pre-warn customers when they come bee-boppin' in through the door throwing the "L" word around loosely. Usually, all it takes is a quick "ballpark figure" to discourage them. I do this in hopes to avoid wasting a lot of time working up a leather estimate. 
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison