Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:12:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone know what this material is called?

Started by marko69, April 01, 2012, 07:36:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

What is this stuff called?
I've asked this a few a years ago, just that I'd try again.
Is there maybe a good substitute for this and what would that be called
and where can I get it?  They are from a Porsche seat if that matters.
Tanks

Rich

Looks like jute felt to me, auto trim shop supplier like Three Rivers in Homestead PA would probably have it.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

lc

It looks to be like deckgaurd we use to cover over the springs on the decks of our furniture.

marko69

Thanks guys,
Searched for jute felt and that looks like it, but without the stitching across.  Looks like maybe a newer version is poly-felt.  Couldn't find either one on Three Rivers website or any other website.  Guess I'll have to pick up the phone.

ahkahn

Definitely jute padding.  Here is our version of it (wider, lifetime warranty):

http://www.duboisfabrics.com/category_s/48.htm

-Andrew

sofadoc

April 02, 2012, 08:19:16 am #5 Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:20:15 am by sofadoc
Andrew:
I notice that the padding in Marko's pics had stitching. I've torn apart many chair seats padded in that stuff that had a monofilament mesh backing. Any idea where they get that stuff? Or what they call it?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

marko69

Andrew,
That looks very thick and stiff, you sure that's for car seats?

ahkahn

It comes in 1/2" and 1/4" thick.  It's definitely used for car seats in that same exact application.  It's about the same stiffness as typical jute padding... not very stiff, but not too flimsy.  I have never seen one with stitching - it seems like that would add a lot of cost to the product and minimal (if any) advantage.

We'll be happy to send samples out if you'd like, but we sell a ton of it into seating applications... probably more so than as actual carpet padding.

-Andrew

lc

On a curious note Andrew do you ship to Canada ? If so is it a big expense to ship across the border...

marko69

ahkahn

We do ship to Canada, and yes, it's fairly expensive.  As an alternative, we do have a partner distributor in Canada:

Dickert Upholstery Supply
Melissa
130 Falcon  London, ON N5W 4Z1, Canada
(519) 453-2330

They buy quite a bit through DLT and run a truck weekly from our Detroit branch.  They can get this carpet padding and ship it to you fairly economically.  If you call them, make sure that you tell them DLT carries it, otherwise they may not know what you're talking about.

-Andrew

lc

sofadoc

Quote from: ahkahn on April 02, 2012, 06:40:03 pm
I have never seen one with stitching - it seems like that would add a lot of cost to the product and minimal (if any) advantage.
I think the stitching, or mesh backing holds it together better when tacked over no-sag springs. Sometimes after years of sitting on it, the padding starts to seperate around the springs. I've torn down a bunch of factory stuff with this type of padding, so somebody has it somewhere.
But you're right that it might be too costly.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

marko69

April 30, 2012, 04:00:05 pm #13 Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:03:52 am by marko69
I found the perfect stuff, it's just regular felt from Joanne's,  $4.99yd.
I was able to use a single piece for the whole seat back.  It's very easy to stretch and form around the curves and corners without any wrinkling.  It makes the seat softer and hides the imperfections in the foam really well.  Also much much easier to put on my seat covers.  Took me an hour to do this one.  Should have that down to 15 min on the next one now that I know how to work with the stuff.