Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 02:27:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

help guys ,i need some fire proof material

Started by jim fuchs, September 14, 2011, 08:50:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jim fuchs

need to make a cover for my welder cables ,needs to be fire proof ,will be 25 ft long tube 1.5 diam inside . what should i use / i have seen leather but that would be high cost .. jim

fragged8

hiya

you need to pm HDflame he should be able to help..

Rich

Peppy

Samson (herculite?) or Niazil (sp?) make an FR (fire retardant) fabric. That only means that it won't continue to burn. For fire PROOF I think you need kevlar or something.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jim fuchs

what wht lether would i use ans do they sell 4 inch strips i need 25 ft. i could sew into a tube and flip it inside out . jim

needles eye

Hi think you should try a welding shop to ask about the proper stuff. If you sew the leather strip yourself you may have a heck of a time turning it inside out later! You'd be probably better off leaving the seam exposed.
Built a 30 foot aluminium catamaran about ten years ago and later worked as an aluminium welder at the local shipyards, didn't like it much as a byproduct of aluminium welding is phosgene gas which has been linked with alzheimers disease. It's recalled that my cable hose cover was a dark blue PVC, not sure if it was all that fire retardent but was mainly used to protect the (argon mixture) gas hose and ally wire feeder cable from nicks and cuts and wear / tear.
Maybe you could cut up some old welding jackets for the leather.
Good luck and happy welding.

fragged8