Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 12:41:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

woodworking

Started by gene, August 27, 2018, 06:50:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

August 27, 2018, 06:50:53 pm Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:52:43 pm by gene
Here's a video on making a guitar that I recently watched. It's from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAeXskZHC2o

Here's a video blog on rebuilding a 1911 wooden ship. This is a current project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA/videos

I found both of these to be fascinating. I watched them over the last few weeks. We may be the last generation to truly appreciate fine craftsmanship made by people and not machines.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

August 28, 2018, 04:51:10 am #1 Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:02:13 am by SteveA
I watched most of the first video and couldn't help thinking - yes hand craftsmanship using calipers, routers, modern adhesives, electronic heating blankets, bessey clamps, etc.
Slightly different set of tools than what the stringed instrument makers of the 17th had to work with.  Got me thinking back to junior H/S and my first shop class.  We had to make a bench hook.  All the parts needed to be to specs and the ends had to be square using a cross cut saw and a bench plane.  Forty seven years ago - I still have that bench hook but the method to make it has changed for me.  We used the stanley bench plane to square the ends of the end grain hooks, - today it would be the chop saw or the neilsen block plane which almost seems like cheating.  The instructor told us to put the hook end in the vice vertically - chamfer the far side so the plane blade doesn't tear out the edge before planing. I still don't think I can do a perfect 90 degree end today with a bench plane.  Like Darren said - old folks know stuff - the issue I see is that craftsmanship isn't embraced anymore. Lucky you tube is there for those who want to learn the ground work and continue the trades that are going away.

gene

Two and a half million years ago, or so, an ancient ancestor of ours may have been trying to break open a nut or a shell somewhere on the African continent. She got frustrated and hit the object with a rock. Voila! It broke the nut or shell open instantly, and worked a lot better than banging the nut or shell on the rock with her hand. And the first tool was born.

I'm sure as more and more distant hominids began using a rock to break open nuts and shells and crabs and occasionally each other's skulls, there were old timers who complained about the good old days when all you had to use was your hand to hit the nut or shell on a rock to open it. They probably had a list of benefits that using just your hand gave you that you couldn't get with hitting it with a rock.

We've come a long way in 2 and a half million years.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Good point Gene and all.

True for wood working and examining the upholstery of items, there are parallels as such to upholstery.

Time to do things has and will continue to be an important factor in just about all activities.

Thanks for sharing,

Doyle

SteveA

I'm not going back to that first spark but in my life time I can't help seeing some dramatic changes facilitating our craft. It's what I can personally attest to.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not a purest - I repair mostly antiques using both old and modern methods. Between us - I prefer the modern methods.  I have no need to pick up a molding plane or a bit and brace.  I do have the ability to judge the old ways against the new ways over the last 50 years.  I appreciate watching those videos - who stops learning ?   I would caution you that it's television, edited, advertisement, camera angles, and showing you all the best scenes without mistakes.  Craftsmanship isn't like that - everyday you will say to yourself I should have done it a different way.  You're blessed that your Son shows an interest although it costs - my Boys don't want any part of what I do and it's frustrating not to be able to pass on to them what I've labored to learn.  I know some day they will kick themselves and say we missed an opportunity that was right in front of us.
SA 

Mojo

Woodworking is one of my passions. I used to love to go into my woodshop and get lost in a project. I have about every single machine you can thing of but sadly it has all been in storage. No frigging time and no space. One of these days I will get a woodshop up and running again and toil away the days making sawdust. I used to make things all the time for family and friends for free. Never charged for any of it because of the immense pleasure I got in making it and seeing peoples eyes light up with a gift.

In regards to that Luthier who made guitars. That man is a true artist and craftsman. YOWZER. Would love to add one of his guitars to my collection but at $ 14,500 think I will have to skip it.

Thanks for posting the videos,

Mojo