Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 05:24:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Foot Combo -- Did I Gain Anything?

Started by stitchit, April 16, 2011, 07:43:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchit

Can any of you tell me what might be gained or lost by the difference in widths of these feet?

Thanks,

Chris

bobbin

Looks as though the inside toe on the silver foot is narrower than the on the black one.  Both toes on the silver outside foot seem to be shorter overall.   

You will be able to get in closer to say, a zipper, or something that is to the right of the inside toe. 

What are you trying to accomplish with the the silver foot as opposed to the black on you have photographed alongside the silver one?  Do you have a specific operation that is hard for you and that you're trying to make easier? 

This post interests me as a friend of mine asked if I had a "zipper foot" for a Juki walking foot machine.  Well... YEAH! do you want a right or a left set up? do you want a narrow or a wider set up?  He didn't realize there were different zipper foot options... !  Presser feet make a huge difference in the ease with which operations are performed, and they're always the last thing any "boss" wants to purchase. 

I spent a decent amount of time in a factory setting and the correct feet and attachments make a world of difference in how specific operations are performed; but you can't solve the problem if you don't think about what's hard about the present set up and aren't open to the options (and the price tags). 

sofadoc

Like Bobbin says, the advantage you gain from a narrower foot, is being able to get closer (to a zipper, for example). A wider foot will "grab" more fabric as it feeds, which might be an advantage in some cases.
Is the needle hole centered on the inside foot? I've noticed that on many of the wider feet, the needle hole is slightly to the right (looking down on it). It seems like I've had a little trouble with the thread fraying as it goes through the needle hole.
I much prefer the thinner feet.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban