Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:02:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Suggestions for leather touch up?

Started by baileyuph, January 09, 2016, 06:55:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Scars and such on leather, what works best for touching up the finish?  I tried the color touch up sticks, sometimes with success - other ideas and mention the product if you have that information.  I have a big leather sofa job in for other work and am just thinking.

Thanks,
Doyle

SteveA

You can touch up leather with earth pigments - same as wood furniture.  This will work for the minor stuff but more serious abrasions and tears will require real leather repair products and leather repair experience.  I buy Mohawks leather products and have been very satisfied with their quality.
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

I got a leather repair kit at Jo-Ann's.  I've been pretty pleased with it.  Have used it so far on 3 different colors of leather.  You blend colors until you get the desired match.  Wouldn't work (probably) on anything other than minor.  I used it on very light scratches and it was a champ.  Also has products for repairing tears which I have no experience with as I've has no occasion to use it.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Check with your local shoe maker. He may have and can certainly get aerosol leather dyes as well as liquid. the liquid will penetrate where as the spray is topical.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I think wear marks on old leather furniture looks cool. Like on the front of the arms from years of rubbing. It gives it a patina and tells a story. Wrinkles and stretching do the same. Best to check with the customer first and and make sure they want it fixed

But as far as scratches from abuse or mistakes I made I've found wood finish works good, just be ready to wipe off the excess as soon as its applied. And sometimes simply rubbing with a good leather cleaner will make superficial scratches dispersal. Unusual colors like yellow can be a real head scratcher. Sometimes better just left alone. If its a mistake I made its most likely I'll replace the piece in question.

And of course be careful with any product you use. I replaced the seat on a bar stool recently. The customer found a remnant at Tandy Leather. The leather was discolored in spots like it had been laying around for a few years. I had just enough leather to get the job done and when finished I decided to rub it down with a little cleaner. I started on a small spot on the back of the chair and when I looked at the white rag I was using I noticed the die was coming off. I then used just plain water with the same results. The die was not set in the leather so I stopped. I can imagine what this seat will look like in a few years or if someone sits on it with white pants.

When she picked it up I didn't say anything because I wanted to get paid. Should I have told the customer?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Darren:

Dear sir, trying to find a show maker in the USA is like trying to find an honest politician.

Seriously, has anyone seen a show maker or repair shop lately ? I have a heel on a cowboy boot I would like replaced. I have never seen one anywhere.

Darren, you need to pack it up and come down to my area. You would stay busy fixing horse tack, boots, shoes, saddles, etc. This is a BIG horse area here. I get asked from time to time and I just laugh. I do not have a post bed machine ( though I nearly bought one a few years ago ).

Oh and to rub the sale into the wound a little more, you will get paid in USD dollars versus that ever declining loon. It is warmer here too. Come on down Sgt Major. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

Don't tempt me man! four below F with a windchill of 18 below right now and wind chill of 40 below for my walk to work tomorrow. Our loonie was trading under 69 cents the last I heard, and the old lady is on the war path again. Apparently I didn't present her engagement ring correctly at Christmas so I guess she isn't moving back in.

Do you know any good lawyers that could get me into your country?LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

January 17, 2016, 10:07:39 am #7 Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:08:46 am by gene
QuoteDo you know any good lawyers that could get me into your country?LOL

Just wait for Hillary to be elected and our borders will open up like belly fat being sliced by a surgeons' scalpel.

There's a shoe repair shop near me. I think he's down to one day a week because of his age. I don't know how much work he actually has. I've been told that his building is paid for and he's been there for 40 years or so and he mainly opens the shop out of habit and to have something to do rather than having a lot of work to do.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!