Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 12:16:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Comparison Shopping

Started by jojo, March 24, 2013, 06:08:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So back in the day when I first started, I would buy my supplies from companies like Rochford supply or Sailrite. Then I finally got an account at Trivantage, and couldn't believe how much better the prices were, especially for fabrics.
Well, they've revamped their website recently, and apparently their prices too?  Oh, and don't get me started on the shipping charges.

Last night I was shopping for YKK release buckles for 1" webbing, for example. Trivantage wants $1.31 each. I checked Sailrite, and they have them for .55 each, and they charge about half of what Trivantage does for shipping.
I will still shop at Trivantage for fabrics, but I'll take the time to check elsewhere for other items.
Does anyone else comparison shop, or do you rely on your trade wholesalers to give you the best price?

MinUph

I would compare prices but make sure your comparing apples to apples. Some will sell better quality and some from over seas.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I've found TriVantage to be WAAAAAY overpriced lately.  But regardless of supplier, I frequently do comparison shopping.  Oh and those side-release YKK buckles can be had for about 28 cents.  $14 for 50 ain't so bad.

http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing-and-hardware/buckles/plastic/1-inch

or

http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing-and-hardware/buckles/plastic/1-inch/25-1-ykk-flat-side-release-plastic-buckles.html

I haven't purchased from them so don't know what shipping ends up being, but I always look around when I anticipate buying more than 2 or 3 of something.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I sole source nearly everything through MiamiMike. The main reason why is not only prices but service. I had an issue with some fabric two weeks ago and when I called him I had replacement fabric the next day.

I have found Miami's prices very competitive and on the fabric I use ( recacril and sattler ) they are the cheapest. There are a few things I buy elsewhere - velcro, stainless studs, stainless staples, etc.

Fabric wise 100 % of my stock comes from Miami Corp. if they don't have it they get it for me. The customer service is just phenomenal. MiamiMike is a rockstar when it comes to bending over backwards and doing whatever it takes to make my job cheaper and easier.

One other reason why I use Miami is the shipping arrangement. I pay $ 10 per order regardless if I am buying 10 yards or a full roll. I am within their courier district and the courier company delivers to my doorstep. I can order today and the next morning it is here.

Chris

baileyuph

Mojo shipping seems to keep going up, $10 sounds like a bargain from there to here in the St.Louis, area.

Inflation in everything is an issue, fabrics, shipping, utilities, and you name it.  Makes us shop owners work harder to get ahead.

Doyle

JuneC

Jojo, you really need to get wholesale accounts at SailRite and MiamiCorp.  I believe both will set you up without a large first order.  Their wholesale discounts are significant (depending on the item, of course).  And Chris is right with Miami's service.  They're great.  I get vinyl from them and while I'm not in their courier area, the shipping isn't bad at all. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

JoJo:

Miami ships out of several warehouses so depending on where your at they can ship out of the closest warehouse ( as long as what you need is in stock ).

I know Mike will gladly set you up with a wholesale account if you contact him. His number is 919-518-1441.

His e-mail address is: MWeunski@miamicorp.com

Chris

Miami Mike

His number is 919-518-1441

Not my number? 513 298 5519 is my direct work number.

If i can't set you up we have others that can.

Mike
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

JDUpholstery

I have never had the chance to speak with Miami mike, but I deal with Ray Edwards and I try to keep all my business with them, customer service is outstanding, I am not a big company, I spend probably on average 1500 a month, so by focusing on one vendor it helps with keeping them happy and you happy...I do order things elsewhere when I cant get it from Miami, but only when they do not carry it...also they can give you better deals if you call your order in as opposed to ordering online

Mike

I wish I could get that blue streak $10 delivery from Miami.

Miami Mike

We are working on it.  Also I am in town tonight. Can we get together tomorrow?  I have some new samples with me. You got my number let me know.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike

Yesterday eould have boon good but today il be patterning