Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:29:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ratcheted Boat Cover

Started by jojo, February 03, 2013, 01:33:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
I'm attempting my first cover with a webbing ratcheted perimeter under the rubrail.  It's a 19' Malibu Skier.
How many ratchets should I use on this? The owner has access to both sides of the boat and the stern when it is in the slip.
Is one enough?
Thanks!

Mike

I never used a ratchet but I will use one buckle  what ratchet will you use?

jojo

Mike, like a ratcheting tie down buckle for 1" webbing.

Mike

are you going to use a normal one like off a strap? I know june found a source for a stainless one but I don't think it was cheap

jojo

That's also the kind of advice I was hoping to get....I think I can use the regular kind as opposed to stainless because the boat will only be used on a lake and not the ocean?

JuneC

Just one ratchet on a strap for a boat that size should be more than enough.  The SS ratchet buckle isn't terribly priced - I REALLY like the Steritool ratchets :

http://www.steritool.com/tools/tie_down.htm#oneinch

The standard buckle is just $12 which I think is really reasonable for the quality.  Of course, every time I get on their website I start looking at all their SS hand tools and want to get something else.  In another life I must have been a gear-head  ::)

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

February 04, 2013, 08:19:48 pm #6 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:27:50 pm by Mike
june wich one do you use I was looking at
#10407   1" Overcenter Buckle. 304SS    
260 lbs working load  

$8.00      

look good enough to do the job foot a 20-25' cover but them I put it in my cart as if to order and it daid there is a $20 charge for orders under $150 that a bummer. I want to make a cover for my center console and its  lift is postitoned that I couldn't have access to straps under the hull this would be good

but withy shipping it was $21+ change then add a $20 surcharge I hate to add $40+ to each cover if I did all like this so $41  for one buckle is this the way it is for you june?

Mike

June you don't have a closup pic of how you do the buckle do you ?  do you have a hook and d ring> it yis hard to insert the webbing into the barrel of the ratchets I have used before I would think you would have about a foot to crank    then a hook of some sort.

JuneC

The minimum order thing is new.  There never used to be any charge for small orders.  The heck with that.  I like them better than the Strapworks buckle, but I'm not going to pay that much of a premium. 

http://www.strapworks.com/Ratchet_Buckle_p/ssrb.htm

No hook or d-ring.  The end of the webbing strap just feeds through the buckle and you wrench it in just like the tie-downs on a boat trailer.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

It took me a while to find these pics, I hope I'm not too late. Here's what I do with my ratchets and the ratchet that I get from J.Ennis fabrics[ one U.S warehouse in Indianapolis].

I have also padded underneath the ratchet with piano felt and Vintex (aka herculite,gladiator,et al) on request. Once it's tied up you just flip the flap over onto the corresponding velcro to keep the crud and rain out.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I deal with enjis ill have to see if thoose are stainless or not.
How do you all deal with a strap pocket do younjust make it with sunbrella on a sunbrella cover.
Wieh i make a cover  under the bow i dont just let it gather the pocket under the rubrail i pattern it with flat planes against the hull.  So ive have good results without a pocket forthe strap. And once its on it aint comming off.  See
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/covers/100_1421.jpg

So im thinking this would still work but raher the. A derlin buckle a ratchet would be much better.
Espicialy as i only have acces to the rear port corner running strap inder the boat id have to go swiming.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/90c0fad5.jpg

Darren Henry

That first pic may be a little deceiving. The webbing is sewn into the hem all the way around the boat instead of the the usual rope or shock cord. That piece hanging down is just the free end. It isn't attached to anything.

I don't need stainless up here. Fresh water and very dry compared to coastal areas.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

No it's not too late....thank you Darren! And June and Mike. Exactly the info I was looking for. I'm starting it next week, and will keep you posted.
Thanks again!

Mike

Darren is rhe web inv loose in the hem a pocket   0r lile mine pic the red one the web ing was seen in with binding as a snap on cover is. No movement of the webing.

jojo

Never thought of that possibility Mike. Yet another decision to make. I see the advantage of sewing the webbing onto the sunbrella, as you wouldn't have chafing of the webbing against the fabric.
But Darrens does look loose in the hem. That's the way I would have done it, but now not so sure.