Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:06:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Is This?

Started by jojo, December 27, 2012, 07:51:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

photo uploader

I hope the link works - using a new photo hosting site.
Anyway, this is a chiropractic table somebody emailed me a pic of. What is going around the lower edge? It looks like hidem and snaps? If that's what it is, then does anyone know why?
Thanks

jojo

Also, if anyone wants to reply with they might charge for something like this, that'd be cool too.  :D

sofadoc

Definately Hidem. My guess is that it was coming loose, and the customer added the chrome nailheads just  to hold the hidem in place. I don't think the nailheads were original. Some of them appear to be erratically spaced.

It's not uncommon to have  spinning T-nuts, or stripped wood screws on those pieces. Sometimes removing and reinstalling them is the most time-consuming  part of the job. But if you have the Hidem, they're not hard to recover.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

December 28, 2012, 05:30:18 am #3 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:30:44 am by SHHR
I've redone many of these before. the vinyl on them best rates as crap.  Everyone I've ever done only had 3 or 4 staples holding down the longest runs of hidem. I add many more on a finished piece, as for the snaps it was either a quick fix by someone sometime back or they tried to make the covers removable for disinfecting/cleaning.
Kyle

baileyuph

Time:  Somewhere in the area of 5 hrs, then add for anything we can't see in pictures plus materials.  How much time in removing cushions from machine, take a look at that, might not be significant.  Then, add materials.

Construction:  I didn't look at every component, but sure looks like chrome headed tacks and hidem.  If wood is still strong, forget the chrome tacks and stainless staples.  That should hold it in place.   The existing cover may not be original?

How's the padding?

How many you doing that are the same, that may be factored into the overall time.  Dupes, usually speeds my process. 

Good luck,
Doyle