Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 04:30:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Went Wrong Here? Bimini Convertible Top

Started by jojo, November 08, 2012, 10:46:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

November 08, 2012, 10:46:31 am Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:12:42 pm by jojo
Hi everyone,

Just finished this top, and have this wrinkle on one side only. Sorry for the poor quality picture, but I had to hang out my 2nd floor window.

I don't have straps yet, but when I put some tension on the frame the wrinkle looks better, but not gone.
Would you put a dart in it?

Thanks for any advice,
Jo

Mike

Im confused when tounsay you dont have strap yet but luttig tention on the frame makes them better i see rear support legs not straps is the where you are putting tentions pulling the frame back?
If your meen straps to hold the secondary bow up. I just make a pocket to hond the bow up. The frame shoud be just at the seam on the canvas not pulled behing it to high as i have seen after the sunbrella streaches. Your seam is not perfect at the  orner of te bow at the radius. Secerude the small bow in position and remark the seam at the wrinkle taking up material.  Looks like you need to take up
More on the rear of rhe seam and make sure they are alingh ed core tly being off 1/2" will. CAuse wrinkles too  but too much material. / seam allowance will  cause  a sag.

JuneC

What's that lump/bump on the side of the forward bow, right on the frame?  That appears to be causing some of your problem.   In the photo it appears to already be really tight but I think if you take up a little extra fabric in the seam right at that forward bow, it'll pull out the wrinkle.  Pull the fabric forward manually right at the bow corner and see if the wrinkle goes away.  If so, then taken in that seam just a bit. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

June, there's a zipper on the front, and the bump you see is a flap (1" overlap) that covers the zipper. I didn't know how else to do this?
Mike, sorry for the confusion; I misspoke. I'm not going to use straps, but there will be an aft curtain that will get snapped to the back of the boat, and that will pull the wrinkle a little, but it still bugs.

Mike

Dont count on the aft curtian to make it look good. 
It should look nice with it off cruising the lake also its vot to be that seam on the forward bow arounf the  corner.

Pegasus2007

I've experienced wrinkles like this being caused by framework (aluminum mostly) that is out of whack.  Check your bow alignment and also check to make sure your bows have not been damaged and bent.  If they don't line up properly, they are not symmetrical and a symmetrical fabric top will not fit the frame properly.

regalman190

I agree with June. I think if you take in the front bow seam at the corner, should fix that. I also would not count on the aft curtain to straighten it out.
Regal Canvas

jojo

Update: Pegasus, you were right. I patterned the thing the day before the hurricane, and then folded the frame down and put some tarps over the boat. At some point the fitting on the side with the wrinkle slid down. When I moved it back up the wrinkles  were gone!

Thanks everyone for your input.