Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 04:00:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Windshield Clip Advice

Started by jojo, October 16, 2012, 12:01:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi everybody,
I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri, and am doing a camper top/enclosure. There are snaps riveted along the front windshield, but not on the side glass. The clips come in 3/4" or 7/8", but the trim piece actually measures 1 1/8".
I've looked high and low and can't find anything other than the standard sizes.
What are my alternatives? Would any of you try to drill the snaps in? I fear breaking the glass. Help please!
Thanks in advance.

Mike

Is the side frame the same as the front? If somid just rivit on studs as on the cront just go slow drilling i. Case you are going to hit glass but it should be the same. At a time i think early 90s they had a plastic clip for the bayliner frames oem specific 
Post a pic of the frame and the rivited front for more input

Mike

Oh. Btw there was a plastic inster thst fit some frames that had a slot starcrafts i know and  sea rays  that folded them fit into the slot snd a screwstud was then used

Peppy

I know the plastic clip thing your talking about Mike. I've seen them on a couple boats but they were mostly busted off and had switched to pop rivets. I've also seen those fold in half, plug type things I think those are okay. Haven't used them much but they seem neat in that they adjust without leaving a mark.

Jojo you should be fine drilling into the frame. There's a line in the extrusion that they probably drilled into on the front? drill into that and you won't hit glass. You'll need a 1/4" rivet though.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike

Ever hear that sound then thebdrill bit touches the glass. Then.         

Shatter.

My brother was drilling for snaps couldnt use clips on the underside of a opening center window. Cor a bow cover. For  a boat dealer  and the boat was to go out when we were done. Thankfully he had a spare window he could use.

jojo

Ok, so rivets are the way to go. But I have no experience with riveting...what do I need? Do I have to buy special equipment, or will a regular rivet gun work? Are the rivets available anywhere, and do you just use regular snap sockets that you would use on cloth?
Thanks so much guys.

Mike

I would use a regular stud that eould use on cloth  get a cheap rivit gun at the hardware snd 1/8" shank rivits.

I will normay use screw stud myself in the aluminum
FrAme. With a 9/64" bit

jojo

Great Mike! I didn't know you could screw them in; for some reason I thought the aluminum wall would be too thin. I'll try this, but I'm going to get approval from the customer first. Thanks again everyone!

DBR1957

Bayliner went throught many windshield frame types. Can you post a pic of the framing?

jojo

Update: It worked....no broken glass! So, if anyone needs to know, you can screw snaps into the glass frame of a 1998 Bayliner Capri 1950.
Thanks guys.
Also, I bought a rivet gun and will try this method next time. I'll let you know which is superior.