Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 07:24:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Is Wrong With This Picture?

Started by jojo, October 03, 2012, 07:34:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Ok, I haven't seen the boat in person, but this is a picture the customer sent of his existing bimini/convertible something or other:

and here is the rear view:

First of all, aside from the wrinkles, does this look weird to you? Like maybe it's on backwards?  What is it supposed to be...unfinished convertible top? really weird bimini? There are no snaps on the side windows, or the rear of the boat. He wants a new enclosure like this:

Will I be able to make it with the existing frame?

Thanks y'all.

Grebo

October 03, 2012, 10:05:30 am #2 Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:10:52 am by Grebo
Yes it does look wyrd, for a Start those back straps are tighter than the canvas, that aint going to help.
I would say if he released those straps & let the back bar drop down it would look ok. So yes frame should be ok.

IMOP  ;D

Suzi

Eric

Move the struts attached to the rear bow up so they just touch the beginning of the shoulders. That should help pull some of the wrinkles out. As for the rest, put the frame in position you want, then make a new top.
Eric.

DBR1957

His top is old and shot. Straps to hold the secondary bow have slipped forward. The rear support bars
may have slipped down but I have seen some Bayliners that have similar placement. I looks like that
top has had a considerable amount of rain or snow collect in it which has stretched it out. The secondary
bow has lost its' crown due to the weight of the aforementioned rain or snow. As long as the bows aren't
kinked they can be reshaped.

Reshape the frame as required, setup to fit with the forward bow about 2" - 3" higher than the rear bow
and go to town.

In the sample picture of what your customer wants, look where the dart is in relation to the forward bow.
It's actually forward of where it is supposed to lie on the corner. This indicates the retaining straps have
been shortened to take out puddling. Raising the forward bow as indicated will aid in runoff and prevent
that from happening. We don't use straps to hold bows in place because they typically slide off to the
side. Always use a sleeve/pocket/listing or whatever you want to call it.

Mike

Id do like eric i rry adjusting the dear support and probly the secondary bow to make sure it jasnt slipped.  Aside from that if hes fine with the old canvas just make thbe new windows and aft curtian.

jojo

Thank you so much you guys. I owe you all a beer.  :)