Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:59:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Difference between Decorator and Designer

Started by baileyuph, September 17, 2011, 06:13:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

September 17, 2011, 06:13:26 pm Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:40:16 am by DB
Are these terms used interchangably?  Seems what used to be a decorator is now more frequently referred to as designer.  In dealing with home interiors and furnishings, how are the two separated or are they?

Is there a difference in the respective career training?

Webster's definition implies designers are more involved with pattern making and measurements, and colors. Designers are perceived as one that comes up with an original item, or the different concept.

Decorators are more involved with making things more ornate.  Following through with that, designers create the idea and decorators provide the ornamentation.

One interpretation from Webster indicates, to me, the designer creates something and that maybe be followed by a decorator adding the ornate items or as some say touches.  

Anyone have a different understanding of these two titles?

Merely a thought, no more.

Doyle

sofadoc

Around here, a designer is someone who has some type of formal training or degree. A decorator is usually a bored housewife who wants to make a little "fun money" by re-doing interiors for all of her friends, and get her own personal stuff wholesale (mostly the latter).
Funny thing though, it's the designers with the training that seem to have less grasp on what is practical. But then, it's the decorators that are usually operating on a "shoestring budget".
I think I'm going to forward these 2 definitions to Mr. Webster :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Quoteit's the designers with the training that seem to have less grasp on what is practical

;D

Very good Sofa, actually you and Webster are in same thinking very much.  Designer creates, decorator decorates or adds ornamentation.  What you said could be interpreted near the same.

Very good.

Another thing that is observed, there is more prestige being a designer, even if the designer only decorates.  To clarify, I observe a lot of desigers doing the same thing as decorators.

Confusing?

Thanks,

Doyle

kodydog

September 18, 2011, 06:18:18 am #3 Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:36:08 am by kodydog
Here's a quote from sterry56 that's humorous but true,

FYI: Remember that if you call a "decorator" an interior designer, they will see it as a compliment.......but God help you, if you ever call an "Interior Designer" a decorator....you might as well have spit on them.

My understanding is a designer has some kind of formal education. One designer I work with said she has the equivalent of an architect degree. She's able to do wind load calculations and such.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

Seems on tv they think it sounds beter to design on a dime then decorate on a dime. 

alge

The formally trained ones are often fun to work with/for but the general type really should be called "interior compilers" or shoppers or something like that. How many of them can actually design something unique and useful/beautiful?

sofadoc

Quote from: alge on September 18, 2011, 11:28:34 am
How many of them can actually design something unique and useful/beautiful?

I don't mind decorators/designers being unique and creative.....as long as they're willing to pay for all that "creativity".
All too often, the "creative" ones are a BIG PITA!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

alge

Quote from: sofadoc on September 18, 2011, 11:35:15 am
Quote from: alge on September 18, 2011, 11:28:34 am
How many of them can actually design something unique and useful/beautiful?

I don't mind decorators/designers being unique and creative.....as long as they're willing to pay for all that "creativity".
All too often, the "creative" ones are a BIG PITA!

too true, i spent years refusing to do work for anyone using designer as a title. thankfully i have made a few contacts over the last few years who are good payers and really good communicators - professional. Forget the rest.

At least a leech has the courtesy to anaesthetises the wound it creates.

tapissier

the bored housewife turned decorator syndrome!!! LOL, I love it sofadoc, and its so true, I've seen it so many times.
remember that to open an account with any fabric supplier you just need good credit, no one will ask you accreditation.
In NYC you can go to the D&D building, open all kind of accounts and call yourself a decorator, I would have done it but I tend not to walk on that side of the street! so I became a hairdresser!!

A designer holds a degree. check any Ivy league curriculum.
Designer or decorator, they still don't know how a sofa is supposed to be build.

JuneC

Quote from: tapissier on September 24, 2011, 01:00:04 pm
Designer or decorator, they still don't know how a sofa is supposed to be build.

HA!  That's pretty funny  :P  How is it in this country we've lost our way?  Maybe I'm showing my age, but I remember when proficiency in any craft, whether it was woodworking, upholstery, or manufacturing (or aerospace) engineering, was disciplined, respected, and well paid. 

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

My present boss hates working with designers and architects.  I suspect that's because they come to appointments on time and prepared, lol.  They ask questions and they often have to confer with their client before committing to the work.  Understandable. 

I love working with them, personally.  For all the above reasons.  I love discussing a slipcover's details, a drapery tie back detail, a floor cloth, etc..  I have no problem doing a color sample for them or suggesting a way to do something that might be easier and less costly.  I'd rather deal with a designer than a confused, decorator "wannabe" who can't make their mind or has no compunction about saying, "that isn't what I envisioned" when I've finished something exactly they way they wanted it!