Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:09:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Barber Chair capability at work table

Started by baileyuph, August 08, 2015, 07:18:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This actually works, we set one up and instead of the chair, it was replaced by a work table.  Then, we hung a boom from the ceiling and had hundreds of kitchen chair cushions coming in.  You understand how it works by visualizing placing the cushion and cover with foam to be installed then elevating the table chair to just the right height one time and run around with the staples to install the cover.  The barber table of course spins around also.  All the worker has to do is set the work in and then run the staple gun. 

A good way to feel better at the end of the day, less stress on the fingers (less pulling to get the desired tension and the work height was perfect for the worker.  We use different boom lengths from the ceiling, so any one doing any type of cushion staple job could be accommodated.

It is used to pull staples also, and anything to makie that job easier....need more be said.

A great money maker!!!!!

Doyle

MinUph

I get it. I have a drop ceiling so the boom would need to be tied to the roof somehow. But its good to hear the table on the base worked.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

build your top support anyway required, doesn't have to be to the roof, your work table could jack against a horizontal beam close to the dropped ceiling.  Keep in mind your pressure reuired isn't that much, like in the example we were merely compressing seat foam with the jack pressure to save the hands and add efficiency to a repetitive function.

The pressure required for most cushion work is less than small clamp applies.

It came in handy also on theater seating - plus speeded the work.  Factories use the concept.

Doyle

sofadoc

I've played around in my mind about rigging something similar from a shop press.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641794_200641794

Next time I have a high volume of small seats to do, I'll give it more thought.

Any thoughts on how a shop press might be adapted?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Bernie and I have had this discussion. I watched a couple of videos about it and didn't really see a time savings using one. I'm sure thére would be pieces that it might help with but for the time invested in bulding and set up i felt it not worth it. Maybe if thats all you did maybe. Did i say maybe?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

August 09, 2015, 03:17:44 pm #5 Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:18:46 pm by byhammerandhand
I made a turntable out of a sheet of CDX plywood and some plumbing fixtures.  Two floor flanges.  One short length of smaller diameter (1.5" IIRC) A couple of different lengths of larger diameter (2" IIRC) that just fits over the smaller diameter.  Cut the plywood in half (2 4'x4' sheets), attach the smaller flange under the top and the larger flange on the top of the base.  You now have a 4'x4' turntable that easily spins around.   Use the longer pipe for a higher surface and shorter pipe for a lower surface.  Doesn't help with the lifting, but gets the work up to the right height and allows you to spin it around to work on it.

Easily comes apart to store against the wall when not using it.

Taken apart (but you can pull the pipes off for better storage)

Together

Swiveled

And yes, those Adirondack chairs are 1/3 size for an 18" doll.  
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

That will help expedite the work.  I like the height option.

Doyle

brmax

The work table lifts are amazing, as I was looking around at staplers I ran across the Bea site in there they had some factory shops doing different things upholstery, fastening, etc. etc. It was a interesting video of their documentation anyway, I recall some here have worked in these factory positions and could I'm sure provide great ideas.