Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:51:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Noticing a change

Started by sofadoc, December 15, 2013, 10:55:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

A high percentage of my customers are over 50. Many of them well over 50.

This age group comprises most of my PU/Delivery business. The younger crowd brings their stuff in, and they pick it up.

One thing I've always enjoyed about the senior set........is they get up early. I can get my PU/Del's done first thing in the morning, and not kill the middle of the day. And it REALLY comes in handy in the summer, when the afternoon temps are brutal.

But I'm noticing more and more now, the elderly don't get up as early as they used to. They stay up late, and they sleep late. They're up past midnight chatting on FB.

They used to answer at 8:00 AM on the first ring. Now, they return my voicemail at around 10:30. And they request that I give them an hour to get dressed.

I kinda miss the days when you could see the elderly sitting on their front porch at 5:00 AM.
Now, they're just teenagers with money. But that's OK. As long as they have money, they're STILL my favorite demo ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

That's funny Sofa. My 81 year old mother watches Letterman every night. She says if she goes to bed any earlier she'll wake up at 5 in the morning. Guess she's not a morning person.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Funny you mention this.

I needed to meet a customer today and I like to get everything knocked out early in the morning so I can start sewing. I HATE any interruptions when I am cutting fabric or sewing. These people wanted the appointment at 10:30 ( because his wife needed more time in the morning ).

A buddy of mine who is in his 60's doesn't wake up till 10 am every morning. My day would be ruined if I slept that late. I had a bad night a few weeks ago with chemo and I slept in till 8 am. I hated it. It felt as if my day was gone already.

No idea what is causing people to sleep in late. My wife will sleep late if I let her and on her days off I typically do. Not me, my day has to start early otherwise I feel like I lost alot of time. My most productive time of each day is in the morning.

Chris

bobbin

My customers tend to be older, too.  I keep pretty strange hours (at least to some!).  I am in my shop at 6AM and am ready to wrap things up between 2-3PM.  You can call me at 6 AM and I'm never grumpy.  I work W-M... yeah, you read that right.  I work Saturday and Sunday!  But only until 2PM.  If you think I may answer the phone after 4PM, guess again.  There's voice mail, and e-mail, or dial me up at 6 AM.  I work when I'm most productive and this "early bird" sticks to that schedule!

Best of all, I'm punctual.  You ask for a 10AM app't. I will be on time.  Punctuality matters to me. 

sofadoc

I picked up a couch at an elderly woman's house today. I didn't recognize her name, because she had remarried.

When I got to her home, I saw that it was a lady that I worked for 37 years ago, when I was in high school. I'm 2nd from far left. She is 2nd from far right. She was at LEAST 45 in this pic.

I've put on a few pounds since then :)

I was already fully entrenched in the family upholstery business, but I also had aspirations of being a TV repairman (I thought that pocket-saver full of little screwdrivers was cool).

That TV store was 2 blocks from the building that is my upholstery shop today.

Mike

I when I started this I worked 8am - 5pm 7 day a week for 12 years winter were my only slow time , now ill wake up sometimes early 4 am and watch tv till 7 them it coffe on the porch usualt get to my shop at  and by 3 im ready to go , different then you chris I like my appointments in the afternoon I like to get the  work done
then go to the appointment f its a good big job its usually an hour holding hands get the deposit and go.

but ive noticed the older crowd don't like to do nothing early they will be home like when I go to pattern a boat but today I had a colver at the shop ready for a guy to pick up he had called about well I called him at 9 am but he didn't get there till 11:15

Mojo

Dennis:

Since I am 20 years younger then you can you tell me " what the hell is a console " :)

:)

Chris

baileyuph

Mojo, Dennis will give you the best answer, no doubt.  But the term has transitioned over time;  long ago it meant (outside of the administering good feelings) some type of compact piece of furniture that was additive to a room.  Then, as the center armrest idea was invorporated into autos, years ago, it took on that term.  Because it was a smaller appointment to add convenience and comfort to occupants of the car. 

Strange how sometimes word meanings are transitioned.  Mojo, who knows, you probably encounter some kind of a console in those RV's (a compact furnishing to add comfort and facilitate other needs/desires of the cabin).

Dennis will now give the real answer to console you on your question about the meaning of a "console". 

Have a Merry Christmas Mojo.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

December 21, 2013, 04:57:02 pm #8 Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:58:14 pm by byhammerandhand
I think a console is an old term for a large piece of furniture housing a turntable and/or radio, like this:

How many of you guys noticed the Eames chair, or the console, for that matter?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Hammer/Hand

I vote to put you in charge of giving out Christmas presents !

SA

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on December 16, 2013, 04:58:57 pm
I also had aspirations of being a TV repairman (I thought that pocket-saver full of little screwdrivers was cool).
there was a bright future you missed out on whoda think

oh and a ive got a console on my boat it where the helm is

gene

December 24, 2013, 08:52:56 am #11 Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:59:49 am by gene
Mr. Hammer,

I'll bet that there's a chip or dent in the bottom corner of that console and that's why that lady's laying on the floor so you can't see it.

I think TV also keeps the old people up late. TV is a great thing to have when you have a sedentary life style.

QuoteNow, they're just teenagers with money.
That's funny.

I love the bumper sticker that says, "We're spending our kids inheritance." LOL

A married couple woke up on their 50th wedding anniversary day. As they were having breakfast, the husband said, "Hey, remember on our honeymoon fifty years ago, we ate breakfast naked. Let's do that again. Let's eat breakfast naked." The wife was a bit hesitant but after some prodding and conjoling she agreed to take off her clothes and eat breakfast naked.

As they continued with their breakfast, the wife said, "Honey, I'm starting to get tingly all over. Do you think this is because of our 50 years of true love?" "No", said the husband. "I think it's because you've got one breast hanging in your cereal bowl and the other breast in your coffee cup."

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Yeah, a console was just a TV built in to a wood cabinet (actually, most of them were fake plastic wood cabinets).

Back then, you choose a TV not by the resolution, or screen size. You choose Early American, French Provincial, Mediterranean, etc.. The only other decision was whether you wanted walnut, pecan, or maple finish.

Somewhere along the way, the  manufacturers decided that the television set was no longer a piece of furniture. It used to take 2 men to lift a 25" console TV. Now, a petite woman can carry a 60" flat screen right out of Best Buy on her own.

SteveA

Sofa Doc
You are right on point !
Mediterranean (never could spell it) pecan finish - you do know about these things ! c. 1960's
I used to deliver those cabinets that had the TV in the center, big speaker on each side, turntable on the top left and the legs were French cabriole so you couldn't tip it up on two legs (too weak that way)
They were easily 350 lbs.  Sort of where my touch up experience got it's start.  Hope they aren't calling this stuff antique yet ?
SA

Mike

QuoteNow, they're just teenagers with money.

that's one thing that sucks living in florida. every morning I sit on my porch having coffee. all my neighbor's are retired I see the, taking bicycle rides in new England I never saw a guy on a bike unless he was a bike nut but there out there with there beach cruisers like kids again or walking and when I go to McDonalds up north it was mothers and kids and happy meals  here I usualy the youngest huy in the plqce there all there drining  coffee  and reading a paper