Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 02:49:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Average Chair Reupholster Estimate?

Started by baileyuph, December 06, 2013, 05:32:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

December 06, 2013, 05:32:02 am Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:30:38 am by DB
What comes to mind when asked the price for reupholstering an average chair?

Happens frequently but not sure there is an average chair.  Average for what era, 40's, 50's, 60's, or later?  Today's new chairs have an average.  

All averages given, then compute an average from those numbers will not represent a good overall average.  That must why when asked "how much" to do an average chair is difficult.

How best to handle the issue?  Just give a number and after seeing the chair explain that is a different average?

Doyle

gene

December 06, 2013, 06:22:44 am #1 Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:29:57 am by gene
What's the average price for a car?

What's the average price for a house?

For example: All cars that were ever made? Only cars made within the last 10 years? Only cars under $50,000? All houses in the USA? All houses in Boston? etc., etc.

That is a totally useless question. Give me the specifications for the chair that you are looking to have reupholstered, and I will give you an average price for that specific chair. I call this average "My Estimate".

When I'm asked "What is the price for reupholstering an average chair?", if it's someone I know, I tell them it's way more than what they can afford. If it's someone I don't know, I tell them there is no average chair.

Good question.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

When asked that inane question, I tell them "It would depend greatly on the price of the fabric that you select."

If they persist on "pinning me down", I quote them a VERY WIDE range of possible pricing, again depending on the cost of the material.

They usually ponder the info that I've given them and say "Well, I guess I'd just have to let you see the chair".

At which point I say "Yes, that would probably be best".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Not an upholsterer, but when asked for a "ball park" on a slipcover I ask about the number of cushions and go from there.  I don't worry too much about fabric/relative suitability.  The number of cushions gives me a good idea how much time will be required to get the work done. 

I'm right in line with Gene on this one.  For me, it's about the time required.  I will provide a yardage estimate and some guidelines with respect to fabric suitability, but until I know how many cushions are involved... no way will I be able to provide a "ball park" estimate for my labor. 

kodydog

Telling the customer to e-mail a picture takes some of the guess work out. But still need to know about spring work, frame repair, replacing foam, etc. And making in home estimates is a real time killer. One could spend 8 hours a day doing just that. Is there a way to make a living just making estimates?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Good points:  I have decided to try and stay away from providing
"wag" type of estimates.  The anology I use sometimes is it is like opening an engine on a car, can't tell what all will need done until it can be inspected.

Some don't like that, they depend on a number and I find it is those are the one's who will walk if you gave the answer to three places on the decimal.

Kody's answer is my answer. 

Doyle

papasage

no matter what you  give they  most likely will  want to hold you to it . and  most likely  say i can buy a newer one cheaper . but they will be driving a  lincoln or a cadillac and live in a brick home
just recovering 40 years