Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 03:34:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Enduro servo motor

Started by DDandJ, April 10, 2014, 08:57:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

Back in December I finally bought a servo motor for my Bernina 950.  I went  with the the Enduro.  It's a brushless, digitally controlled motor.  The reason I chose the Enduro is because it has a slow start feature.  Everyone on this forum was very helpful in encouraging me to get a servo.  Installing the motor was just as easy as you guys said.  Within an afternoon I had the old clutch motor off and the new servo on.

The Enduro is very quiet and has no vibration.  The slow start feature is nice.  It sews the first few stitches slowly before going into the set speed.  The drawback to this motor is I have NO control over the speed up to the set maximum speed.  This was not what I expected or wanted.  I emailed an email friend from another forum who has a Bernina 950.  She recently ditched her clutch motor and went with a conventional servo.  She loves her servo.  She said she has complete control over the speed and experienced no loss in penetrating power on lower speeds.

I remembered watching a Youtube video in which a guy shows how to modify the light blocker on his Enduro motor.  I watched it before I bought my Enduro and honestly, it didn't make much sense to me.  Over the weekend I watched the video again and sucessfully made the modification.  The factory installed light blocker on the Enduro is merely a flat, black plastic arm.  The modification involves taping a small piece of white paper to the light blocker and then adding pencil lines to shade the light blocker from light to dark.  The modification was very easy and I now have much more control over the speed.  I probably need to change the pulley on the motor. The Enduro comes standard with a 90mm pulley.  The 50mm pulley  is an additional $20.  I still find at slow speeds I don't have great penetrating power.

I can't help but think I should have went with a regular servo.  I don't really want to throw another $100 at this machine but if I thought a regular servo would better suit my needs I'd do it.  Let me add that I don't use this machine for my upholstery work.  I use this for lighter work such as window treatments, pillows, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Enduro?  Should I have went with another motor?

Thanks in advance.  I always get great advice here.

Jeremy

bobbin

That's the motor I put on my W&G overlock.  I didn't have Ace Mechanic cue up the slow start on mine.  I love that it's fast and "trappy" (quick off the line), but I've been running that machine for a lot of years now and it doesn't bother me. 

My 2 single needle Jukis both have servos and both have a speed control mechanism which is really nice when working in tight quarters or doing really "precision" stitiching.  Give yourself some time with it, really make an effort to use the machine and accustom yourself to the way it reacts.  But, If you're not comfortable with it (after some "practice") then go ahead and swap it out for something with speed control. 

DDandJ

Bobbin I knew someone on this forum also got the Enduro but I couldn't remember who it was.

When I did the light blocker modification I turned off the slow start feature.  I figured if I am able to contol the speed I didn't need the slow start.  For the sake of $$ I may purchase the smaller pulley before plunging into another motor.  Then again, I think swapping a motor would be less work than swapping a pulley.

As always, I'm as indecisive as can be...

bobbin

Swapping out the pulley might be a pretty easy way to "dial down" the speed (jack rabbit starts).  I'd give that a shot before dumping the motor althogether.  That said, I don't fart around with mechanical stuff on my machinery (that's why there are mechanics and that's why I have a long standing relationship with one I very much admire and trust!).  I've picked up a lot over the years, but I have NO interest in the real nitty gritty of sewing machine mechanical work. 

I spent several years working in piece rate, production settings and in that venue speed is what counts.  You need to be able to go from start to finish ASAP or you'll make crappy money.  So, I became accustomed to machines that "broke fast" and esp. with overlock machines.  Overlocks aren't used for the finesse work... they're used to cover ground fast.  It's different with single needles, and that's where pulley size comes in. 

brmax

A 50mm pulley will slow it down a lot, I have purchased 2 and had the 60 also but I am happy with the 50s. I am positive its the same 50mm from the reliable sew quiet and possibly 10+shipping?? and also a project you could do easy. I can say also agree the black plastic has no taper in switching from stop to whatever speed selected, as shading with the pencil marks on the white sticky tape could do. Though mine have factory tape covering it with a small bit over the edge allowing a touch of light making a longer time from stop to selection. I believe the factory could change it even better in a field change as both of mine were somewhere on the assembly line.
not enough though, that's ok for me right now because I need to work on steering first!
good day

DDandJ

I agree brmax.  It seems like such a simple solution.  I don't understand why the manufacturer can't improve the light blocker.  It is, after all, only a piece of plastic. 

But, I'm not in charge  ;)

Toledo Mach. Sales

We used to sell that motor & tried to modify it so it would start slow & never really felt it started slow enough & on the ones we had the slow start didn't work,it seems like if it was set on 0 or 9 it still started fast.
So since the factory wouldn't change we found another supplier of a different style of motor that have brushes & NOW have a very nice motor that starts slow & has alot of torque.
We've sold well over 200 & haven't had any come back yet,which was also a problem with the brushless type is the chip would burnout in them.
It has a real nice full range of speed as you push on the pedal & you just turn a knob on the front of it to control the top speed or use your foot.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

I have 4 of Bob's motors as I am a servo motor junkie. All of them are 550 watt/110 volt motors.
What I like about them is I can dial them up or down with a twist of a knob selecting the speed I need.
Every one of our machines has a servo, the Juki, Chandler and both twin needles. The 550 watt has the power to drive the needle through thick material without any problems.

I have never had one fail on me and have never had to replace the brushes yet. They are great motors and Bob has a good price on them.

Chris

DDandJ

I called Bob yesterday and ordered a servo.  I hate it that I am stuck with the Enduro.  I can always put it on another machine, I guess.

I'm looking forward to the new servo.  I hope I like it as much as other people do.  I'll post as soon as I get it installed.

Jeremy

DDandJ

My new servo from Bob Kovar arrived yesterday.  As soon as I got home from work I installed it.  Having installed one servo under my belt, this installation was a snap.

I asked Bob about a belt for the machine.  I admitted to him I was using a v-belt from the automotive store.  It was noisy and threw off black gunk.  Bob recommended I go to Atwoods and search for a belt there.

Bob, your advice was great.  I found a belt at Atwoods that was for some sort of lawn trimmer.  It was the size I needed and it fits nicely in the groove on the pulley and the handwheel.  It's not noisy and no more black gunk on my table.

I only had time to sew a few test runs before calling it a night but I really think I'm going to like this motor.  I think, FINALLY, this machine is how I want it.

I do have one question, and please forgive my ignorance...  What the heck do I do with the brake cork?

Thanks,
Jeremy

bobbin

That's great news! and thanks for the update. 

I fell in love with the servo motor when I bought my first full function Juki.  And I have committed to change out the clutch motors on my other machines as funds become available.  The Enduro I have on my overlock is the first one I've done.  The next machine to be "retrofitted" is my Nakajima 380 and your experience with the "dial it in" speed control has been esp. helpful; since it's a machine that will be used for precise, very controlled stitching. 

Your advice (and Bob's!) has been very, very helpful!

Toledo Mach. Sales

Jeremy,
So how do you like the speed control?
They send an extra brake pad & brushes w/the motor,you might need them a few years from know.Do what I do,put them in a good spot & in a couple of years you'll be
tearing your shop apart looking for them.LOL,probably the best thing to do is put them ina bag & fasten on the motor somewhere.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

DDandJ

I'm very happy with it, Bob.  I can creep along or sew very fast.  Nice that the motor came with the small pulley.  Glad to know the brake pad was an extra.  I'll have to get used to a brake again.  The Enduro didn't have one.

Thank you again.  Glad I bought it :)

Jeremy