Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:02:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slipcover question for Bobbin

Started by jojo, March 22, 2011, 05:59:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi Bobbin,
I noticed from the archives that you are very experienced in slipcovers, so here goes: How would you approach this?

Would you put a boxing strip on the top? Or just a piece for the outside back sewn to the piece for the inside back?
The customer wants it as fitted as possible, with one piece on the inside back. The back cushions are attached, and when I place the fabric over the inside back, all the lines telegraph through the fabric.
I've done 4 slipcovers before, but those sofas were more straightforward than this.
???

bobbin

I'm  not very experienced with them, frankly.  I've just taken my time and blundered through them, patiently correcting things that didn't look good enough to me.  The results have been pretty good and have improved with every one I've made, but I haven't hit a level where making them is like "shooting fish in a barrel"!

I don't think I'd opt for a top boxing, only because I don't think it's going to do anything to keep the lines of the attached back cushion from showing through,it adds another step, and I don't think doing that will improve the overall look and lines of the slipcover.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, though. 

Have you told the customer that even if you get the slip. fitted as snugly as possible the lines of the attached back cushions will still show through the new fabric?  I would make sure that's understood and it's something you can't really change due to the construction of the piece to be slipcovered. 

But here's something that crossed my mind.  You can't get rid of the lines because you can't rework the attached back cushions.  But would there be anyway you could make an "envelope" on the backside of the inside back and insert a piece of 1/2" foam with or without a layer of batting glued to it?  My thought is that if you could do that, the added layer might just take the glaring edge off the seams of the attached cushions.  It would add more steps and some more materials, and it may not be a perfect fix, but it may soften the lines that show through the single fabric layer.  Run it by your customer and see what the reaction is. 

Follow up on this, I'd like to see how you handle this one and how it works out for you. 

gene

I can understand why you only asked Bobbin. I too have learned a lot from Bobbins' replies.

You may want to expand your question to everyone.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on March 22, 2011, 01:28:56 pm
  I've just taken my time and blundered through them, patiently correcting things that didn't look good enough to me. 

Yet ANOTHER reason why I don't do slip covers!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Gene, I know you do slips, too.  How would you approach the style of loveseat JoJo is attempting to slipcover?  And how about Dede, too?  Anyone else out there?

One of the things I find tough about slips. is that it's unlikely you'll get two in row that require the same approach.  And I tend to forget the brilliant solution (lol) I found after several frustrating attempts.  ;) 

jojo

Thanks Bobbin,
I like the foam idea. I know what you mean about taking your time and blundering through them; I cut away a bit too much on the inside arm bottom and had to redo it. Did I mention that this is the customer's dog's sofa? :-X
Gene, yeah, i probably should have addressed everybody, but when I searched slipcovers on this board, it seemed like Bobbin was the only one who did them!
ok, so the new skirt is not going to be ruffled. I'm thinking I'll just pin the existing one under?

Dede

Well... slipcovers don't necessarily follow the same lines as upholstery.  Upholsterers can use tacks and staples to defy gravity; slipcover makers can't, and must let fabric have its own selfish way. :D

I would pin in one single welted horizontal seam across the top, and a vertical welted seam down the middle.  I would gently gather this vertical seam at the top to separate and define the left and right sides.  I wouldn't worry about the top and bottom separation.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

baileyuph

Dog Sofa?  So what is the objective here?  To decorate or protect?

Why does the customer insist that the back is one piece?  Price?  If her concern is price, then the object is primarily to protect, right?  Then, cover the complex back as simply as you can and explain to her what she is getting.

Some furniture simply doesn't lend itself to slips, protection covers perhaps but at the expense of ignoring professional decorating.

No boxing at the top is my vote to your question.

Doyle

gene

March 23, 2011, 06:47:06 am #8 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:48:44 am by gene
I didn't have time to reply yesterday, hence my failed attempt at some humor.

I did a slip cover for one of these in January. I call my slip covers "Custom Fit Slip Covers", so they are made to fit like a glove and they often times look like upholstery. I only do these high end slip covers because I can't compete with Wal Mart or the semi custom fit stuff you can get on the internet.

I did mine like Dede explained, except I did have a horizontal seam between the top two back cushions and the bottom two back cushions. So, there were 4 separate pieces of fabric for the inside back. Think of a bra with 4 cups. The seams are recessed into the sofa creating the cups. The seams all have welt cord. This seems to help hold in in place better, but this may just be my impression about it. I used pleats instead of gathering, but either will work depending on the fabric that you have.

I also ran welt cord along the bottom of the inside back to help hold everything together. I then sewed an additional piece of fabric across the bottom for my tuck in. This is sewn to the deck tuck in to make a nice big tuck in.

The top of this inside back 4 cup bra was attached to the outside back with welt cord right over the upholsterer's welt cord.

I also ran welt cord up the left and righ sides of the inside back and then added fabric for my side tuck ins. I use at least 3" tuck ins to make sure it stays tuck.

I tell customers that the best fabric is one that is similar to blue jean material: that thick and that flexible. There are a lot of fabrics that are too stiff in general, or too thin, and stiff fabrics will really drive you crazy with a sofa like this one. Sometimes it just won't lay the way you want it to.

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to take a picture of my sofa. I wanted it for my picture collection. If I ever get back into that house, I will definitely take a picture and post it.

The other thing I would mention is that this kind of slip cover takes a lot of time. If someone is looking to save a lot of money by going with a Custom Fit slip cover instead of upholstery, they won't be able to do that with me.

Good luck on this. It's a fun project.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Grebo

I have never done a slip cover  :-X
But am thinking of having a go on our own sofas, they where the only ones we could find that we liked & they are covered in (cheap)  leather  :(
The one thing  neither of us wanted  :'( To hot & sticky in the summer so gets covered in throws that always fall off  >:( .
We have a 3 seater & two seater both have recliners on each end.  ???
Is this project possible ?

Suzi

sofadoc

When we discussed slip covers a year or two ago, someone (don't remember who) pointed out that "Not every piece is a good candidate for a slip cover".
Obviously, putting a slip cover over an old worn out sofa is like painting over old paint. If the internal padding is deteriorated, what's the point?
And a slip cover for the dog's sofa? I certainly wouldn't "beat myself up" on that one by trying to do a "high-end" job.
Gene, or Bobbin may have other ideas. But I don't see how you can do a custom fit on any reclining piece with a lot of moving parts. Even the best fitting cover in the world is still going to "slip-slide" around on top of leather/vinyl.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban